[Public-engagement] Public Engagement Opps bulletin - February 2021

Br-The-Institute theinstitute at nottingham.ac.uk
Thu Feb 11 16:34:27 GMT 2021

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/23f9e664ba0b0620d1f884ed5/images/ea2d37da-0fce-436d-a110-34233abb36e2.png]

                        Public Engagement Bulletin

                                 February 2021

[https://mcusercontent.com/27dbe2623b441ebb6de9121f2/images/a7fa35fc-8ca2-4a6c-81b4-e43363062328.jpg]

The Public Engagement Opportunities Bulletin is a monthly round-up of key opportunities to support high quality engagement, brought to you by the Institute for Policy and Engagement.

In this month's bulletin...

  *   Institute for Policy and Engagement Small Grants Winners
  *   Training Opportunities
  *   Funding Opportunities
  *   Upcoming virtual events
Don't forget to keep us and your colleagues updated on all your public engagement plans via the Public Engagement mailman list<http://lists.nottingham.ac.uk/mailman/listinfo/public-engagement>. To post to this list, please send your email to public-engagement at lists.nottingham.ac.uk<mailto:public-engagement at lists.nottingham.ac.uk>.

You can also follow us on Twitter - @UoN_Institute<https://twitter.com/UoN_Institute>. And of course you can contact us any time for advice and support on theinstitute at nottingham.ac.uk<mailto:theinstitute at nottingham.ac.uk>.

Small Grant Recipients

Back in November we launched our annual call for applications to the policy and public engagement small grants scheme. We were pleased with the amount of interest generated and had many strong proposals to choose from. We are delighted to be able to share the list of success bids and look forward to showcasing these projects as they progress.

Co-producing inclusive public involvement and engagement in maternal health research, led by Julie Roberts

Providing public access to eczema questionnaires via smartphone applications, led Laura Howells

Metals in the food chain: partnering with ringers to investigate trace metals burdens in raptors breeding throughout Wales, led by Lisa Yon

The MOMENT Live Score 2021, led by Max Wilson

Highlighting mental ill health in England and Wales’ prisons, led by Franziaka Schrodt

Geodiversity for Sustainable Societies, led by Philippa Tomczak

Nottinghamshire Integrated Care System Healthcare Professionals Programme, led by Stephen Timmons

Training Opportunities

Recorded Webinars now available on SharePoint<https://uniofnottm.sharepoint.com/sites/Institute/SitePages/Training-from-the-Institute-for-Policy-and-Engagement.aspx>
A variety of training webinars are now available on our Sharepoint site, including 'planning a social media campaign' and 'an introduction to public engagement'.  We have also been adding recordings from our Live Events<https://uniofnottm.sharepoint.com/sites/Institute/SitePages/Live-Events.aspx> and from Nottingham Digitally Engaged 2020<https://uniofnottm.sharepoint.com/sites/Institute/SitePages/Nottingham-Digitally-Engaged-2020.aspx> for you to enjoy at your leisure. More content to follow over the coming weeks.

The team are available to provide bespoke training on topics not covered by this content. If your team has a training need get in touch and we'll do our best to help.

NERC Impact Development Programme<https://www.publicengagement.ac.uk/nerc-impact-development-programme-0>
The Impact Development Programme is a dynamic nine-month professional development opportunity for 40 environmental science researchers to work with the National Coordinating Centre for Public Engagement (NCCPE) to develop their skills in delivering high quality engagement with impact. The programme include two online events, facilitation of formal and informal discussions with peers and mentors and peer learning.

Eligibility

  *   Applications will be accepted from researchers who are working in NERC remit<https://nerc.ukri.org/research/portfolio/remit/>, based within eligible research organisations<https://nerc.ukri.org/funding/application/eligibility/orgeligibility/>. This includes current and past grant holders, and potential future grant holders, those working across disciplines but linked to environmental science and those who work on NERC funded projects but may not be named on the grant.
  *   Proposals from applicants with diverse backgrounds and experience are encouraged, and there are no limits on amount of postdoctoral experience.
  *   Priority will be given to researchers who can demonstrate that they do not have access to free engagement and impact support and/or networks of those involved in environmental science engagement within their institution or project.
The Impact Development Programme cohort will be selected by NERC, following an application process. Please follow the link to complete your application<https://reg.nerc.ac.uk/nidp/>, deadline is 1 March 16:00.

Funding Opportunities

Royal Society of Chemistry Outreach Fund<https://rsc.li/outreach-fund>
The Royal Society of Chemistry Outreach Fund is open for both Small (up to £5,000) and Large (between £5,001 and £10,000) applications to support chemistry-based public and schools engagement activities. For information on the scheme and to access the application form please go to https://rsc.li/outreach-fund.

They will be reviewing Small grant applications monthly throughout the year and Large grant applications twice in 2021. The next deadline for both categories is 1st March and all other deadlines can be found via the link above .

If you have any questions or want to discuss a potential project email outreach at rsc.org<mailto:outreach at rsc.org>.

Upcoming Virtual Events

[https://mcusercontent.com/27dbe2623b441ebb6de9121f2/images/4f0e34cb-13d7-41cb-a49b-24a09b2e9cd7.jpg]

A programme board of staff and student volunteers have brought together a range of events to celebrate LGBT+ History Month, following the national theme of 'Body, Mind, Spirit'. Events run throughout February, to see more details please click here<https://exchange.nottingham.ac.uk/blog/lesbian-gay-bisexual-and-trans-history-month-2021/>.

[https://mcusercontent.com/27dbe2623b441ebb6de9121f2/images/f182e5ad-a3d9-4991-a935-80bee618f131.png]

Diversity in STEM Virtual Panel<https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/diversity-in-stem-panel-event-tickets-137117152093?aff=erelexpmlt>
17 February, 5.30-7 pm
The final event of this year's Festival of Science and Curiosity sees us exploring a range of issues within the STEM community related to diversity and engagement with black and minority ethnic communities. Over the course of 90 minutes, we will explore three topic areas:
– Early intervention and community engagement
– Study and work, representation and initiatives for change
– Actions and collaboration for dismantling racist structures
The festival is up and running now, with a range of activities for children, young people and adults.  Many UoN academics are involved and full listings can be found here<https://nottsfosac.co.uk/events/>.

[https://mcusercontent.com/27dbe2623b441ebb6de9121f2/images/649c0555-0a3e-4bde-864f-d77cd14954e0.jpg]

Science Public Lecture - <https://scipubliclecturefeb21.eventbrite.co.uk> Biomaterials discovery<https://scipubliclecturefeb21.eventbrite.co.uk>
18 February, 6-7 pm
In this talk Professor Morgan Alexander will tell the story of his team's discovery of a novel class of biomaterials resistant to bacterial colonisation and biofilm formation, from the conception of the initial idea, through to them reaching the clinic and very recent generation of early efficacy results. In the talk Professor Alexander will aim to highlight aspects of the high throughput discovery approach they took, the lessons that can be learned about the many challenges of taking candidate biomaterials from the lab to the clinic.

Key contacts
Susan Anderson<mailto:susan.anderson at nottingham.ac.uk>, Academic Lead for Public Engagement, ext 31575
Maria Richards<mailto:maria.richards at nottingham.ac.uk>, Programme and Project Manager (Public Engagement): 07976 951571