[Public-engagement] ONLINE EVENT: Mental Health and COVID-19. 1 July 2020 16:15-17:15

Stephen Meek Stephen.Meek1 at nottingham.ac.uk
Thu Jun 18 15:51:21 BST 2020

Good Afternoon

Online Event: Mental Health and COVID-19
Date: 1 July 2020
Time: 16:15-17:15
Location: Online

The strains of national lockdown have taken their toll in many different ways. Worries about our health, economic situation and care for loved ones are just some of the things that I'm sure all of us have on our minds. The nature of such a crisis means that the impact it is having on day to day life isn't always plain to see. Academics at Nottingham have already begun researching the impacts that COVID-19 has had on the mental health of citizens in the UK and around the world.

With all this in mind, the Institute for Policy and Engagement and Institute for Mental Health are pleased to be hosting an online panel event on this topic. Guest speakers will discuss the impact that the current COVID-19 crisis has had on mental health in the UK and how this will affect future policy making.

Our panel will consist of four impressive speakers:

-          Alex Norris<https://alexnorrismp.co.uk/>, MP for Nottingham North,  Alex currently holds the portfolio for prevention, public health and primary care,
-          Stevie Spring CBE<https://www.mind.org.uk/about-us/our-impact/our-trustees/>, Chairman for Mind Charity,
-          Dr Louise Thomson<https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/research/groups/cohd/people/louise.thomson> from the University of Nottingham, who is researching the impact of Government policies like the furlough scheme have had on the well-being of the workforce.
-          Professor Ellen Townsend<https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/psychology/people/ellen.townsend> from the University of Nottingham, who is an expert on the mental health of children and young people, whose lives are being particularly affected by lockdown and school closure

The discussion will centre on two key questions:

-          What impact has COVID-19 and subsequent Government policies had on the mental health of the UK?
-          How should policy be responding in the coming months to the mental health challenges we face?

With a varied panel, able to provide different perspectives, we hope that the discussion will be lively and engaging. We encourage audience members to interact with the topic via social media.

For more information and to sign up please visit: www.mentalhealthcovid19.eventbrite.co.uk<http://www.mentalhealthcovid19.eventbrite.co.uk>

Joining details will be sent prior to the event.

Best wishes

Stephen Meek

Stephen Meek
Director of the Institute for Policy and Engagement

If this email has been sent outside your normal working hours then please do not feel obliged to respond until your next working day

For queries, meetings etc:
Charlotte Lee
Executive Assistant
+44 (0) 115 74 87401