[Public-engagement] Public Engagement Opps Bulletin - June 2020

Br-The-Institute theinstitute at nottingham.ac.uk
Thu Jun 4 09:55:27 BST 2020

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/23f9e664ba0b0620d1f884ed5/images/ea2d37da-0fce-436d-a110-34233abb36e2.png]

                        Public Engagement Bulletin

                                 June 2020

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/27dbe2623b441ebb6de9121f2/images/1352741f-2358-474f-8531-0ecc1ae325f5.jpg]

The Public Engagement Opportunities Bulletin is a monthly round-up of key opportunities to support high quality engagement, brought to you by the Institute for Policy and Engagement.

In this month's bulletin...

  *   Update from the Institute for Policy and Engagement
  *   New report - Pathways for Potential
  *   Upcoming virtual events
  *   External funding opportunities
Don't forget to keep us and your colleagues updated on all your public engagement plans via the Public Engagement mailman list<http://lists.nottingham.ac.uk/mailman/listinfo/public-engagement>. To post to this list, please send your email to public-engagement at lists.nottingham.ac.uk<mailto:public-engagement at lists.nottingham.ac.uk>.

You can also follow us on Twitter - @UoN_Institute<https://twitter.com/UoN_Institute>. And of course you can contact us any time for advice and support on theinstitute at nottingham.ac.uk<mailto:theinstitute at nottingham.ac.uk>.

Update from the Institute for Policy and Engagement

Like everyone else at the university we have been getting used to holding meetings online, typing into chat windows and trying to remember to turn off mute before we start to speak. The public engagement team hosted their first virtual workshop with academics and artists from Primary last month and while nothing can replace face to face contact it was great to catch up with our project participants and share experiences.

Last month also saw the Science Public Lectures go online, with Catrin Rutland giving a fascinating talk on her work investigating heart disease and sharing her love of anatomy. These lectures will continue to be run virtually for the foreseeable future and we are already making lots of plans to engage more digitally next term.

If you find yourself having to rethink how you can engage with the public over the coming months please do get in touch and we'll be pleased to share options and talk through longer term strategies.

Pathways for Potential

Russell Group have published Pathways for Potential: How universities, regulators and Government can tackle educational inequality<https://russellgroup.ac.uk/policy/publications/pathways-for-potential-how-universities-regulators-and-government-can-tackle-educational-inequality/>. The report sets out a challenge for universities, government and regulators through an action plan to deliver change over a ten year period, with a view to achieving this ambition. Based on an analysis of successful widening participation initiatives, they have identified five principles of good practice that their members have committed to embedding across all activities. To achieve real change they emphasise the need for a joined-up approach with partnership working between universities and a range of stakeholder including schools, colleges, local authorities, charities, employers and relevant public services.

Upcoming Virtual Events

[https://mcusercontent.com/27dbe2623b441ebb6de9121f2/images/b0c349de-f4f8-4ae7-83d5-f18bd970e830.png]

Rebuild or build anew? The role of sustainable chemicals and processes for a resilient green recovery<https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/sustainable-chemicals-processes-industry-forum-tickets-107085046256>
11th June, 1-3 pm, Online Webinar

The Sustainable Chemicals and Processes Industry Forum is hosting this event, which forms part of a series set up to assist companies in developing and implementing more sustainable chemical processes and products. It aims to share knowledge with organisations that can make a difference, identify new collaborators and increase awareness of the vital role of green chemistry in building a new economy. Speakers include Professor Paul Anastas, Director of the Centre for Green Chemistry and Engineering at Yale University. For more details please contact Joanne Gregory<mailto:joanne.gregory at nottingham.ac.uk?subject=Rebuild%20or%20build%20anew%3F> or to book click here<https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/sustainable-chemicals-processes-industry-forum-tickets-107085046256>.

Science Public Lecture
Chemistry in the World's Tiniest Test Tube, Professor Andrei Khlobystov<https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/chemistry-in-the-worlds-tiniest-test-tube-professor-andrei-khlobystov-tickets-107808552282>
18 June, 6-7 pm, Online Lecture
How do we know that molecules react in one way rather than another? Conventional analytical techniques, such as spectroscopy or diffraction, can only support rather than confirm a chemical reaction mechanism. Ultimate knowledge of the reactions can be provided only by studying them at the single-molecule level. Carbon nanotubes, 80,000 times thinner than a single strand of human hair, allow us to entrap molecules and film chemical reactions triggered by heat, electric potential or electron beam with atomic resolution. Reactions in nanotubes often deliver unusual products, such as graphene nanoribbons, or enable improvements of important physical and chemical processes.  All this becomes possible due to the world’s tiniest test tubes. To book click here<https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/chemistry-in-the-worlds-tiniest-test-tube-professor-andrei-khlobystov-tickets-107808552282>.

The Science Public Lecture series is organised by colleagues in the Schools of Chemistry, Physics and Pharmacy, and supported by the Institute for Policy and Engagement.

Designing Disorder - Nesta talks to Pablo Sandra and Richard Sennett<https://www.nesta.org.uk/event/>
7 July, 12-1 pm, Online

The public spaces of our cities are under siege from planners, privatisation and increased surveillance. Our streets are becoming ever more lifeless and ordered. What is to be done? Can disorder be designed? In this conversation, Sendra and Sennett will propose a reorganisation of how we think and plan the social life of our cities. ‘Infrastructures of disorder’ combine architecture, politics, urban planning and activism in order to develop places that nurture rather than stifle, bring together rather than divide up, remain open to change rather than closed off. To book click here<https://events.nesta.org.uk/designingdisorder?_ga=2.200559406.1624201310.1591255935-581329661.1591128949>.

Funding Opportunities

Citizen Science Collaboration Grant<https://www.ukri.org/funding/funding-opportunities/involving-citizens-in-research-to-address-societal-challenges/>
This call will support multidisciplinary research collaborations that spread citizen science methods into new fields of research and involve citizens to address societally-relevant challenges.

  *    ‘5-8 awards’ made, max award £375,000 fEC
  *   Projects from 1-3 years in length
  *   Collaborations between researchers who have held citizen science grants before and researchers who have not
  *   Multidisciplinary work (can be between different disciplines within the same School/ Faculty)
  *   Focus on societally relevant issues within the UK, not overseas, involving defined groups of citizens
If you are interested in this call please express interest by emailing Harry Moriarty<mailto:harry.moriarty at nottingham.ac.uk?subject=Citizen%20Science%20call> by 1st July. The next steps will be advertised in due course.

Key contacts
Stephen Meek<mailto:stephen.meek at nottingham.ac.uk>, Director of the Institute for Policy and Engagement: 07966 373248
Dr Rachael Pearson<mailto:rachael.pearson at nottingham.ac.uk>, Head of Public Engagement: 07855 518063
Maria Richards<mailto:maria.richards at nottingham.ac.uk>, Programme and Project Manager (Public Engagement): 07976 951571