[Public-engagement] Nottingham's Women Experts

Leonie Mathers Leonie.Mathers at nottingham.ac.uk
Wed Feb 14 12:27:14 GMT 2018

Dear all,

With apologies for cross posting, please see the below from my colleague Liz Cass, Head of News. I'm working with Liz to curate this programme aimed at raising our expert women's voices.

Female colleagues - I would strongly encourage you to consider signing up, whatever level you are at in your career.

Male colleagues - please take a moment to think about the talented women you work with, forward this information and encourage them to get involved.

Best,

Léonie Mathers
Head of Public Affairs
+44 (0)7973 975 055 | leonie.mathers at nottingham.ac.uk | nottingham.ac.uk/about/government-relations<http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/about/government-relations>

Original email

Dear colleague,

For those who don't know me I'm Liz Cass, Head of News at the University of Nottingham.

As part of celebrations on International Women's Day, our Vice-Chancellor, Professor Shearer West, will launch two new initiatives from the Communications and Advocacy team, designed to help boost the visibility of the many talented women at Nottingham who have expertise to share.

Why?
Because women are still under-represented in the media, especially at the University of Nottingham: last year, not a single one of the 46 broadcasts from our media hub was by a woman

Because getting your voice heard helps you move on in your career: research shows that getting across why your work matters is particularly important for mid-career female academics trying to emerge from the shadow of their more senior - often male - research leads.

Because gender stereotypes still affect career aspirations among young women: confident women featured in prominent places talking passionately about their research are a great role model for women looking at their future career options

The initiatives

The Nottingham Women Experts Network will include a series of free events and training, running throughout the year, including:

*         Practical media training
*         Speaker sessions with national journalists
*         Advice on advisory panels and giving evidence to policymakers
*         How to gain impact from your research
*         Opportunities to get involved either speaking or writing for the media.

If you don't yet know why working in the media or engaging policy makers might have benefits for you in demonstrating your REF impact then please ask me or come along to our first session.

Nottingham's Women Experts

As part of the launch event I'll be creating a female-only hard-copy version of the Media Guide to Expertise<http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/news/expertiseguide/media-guide-to-expertise-categories.aspx>, in conjunction with Nottingham Trent University. This will be shared with media, public policymakers and other stakeholders to help end the excuse that 'there are no women experts' in any given subject.

What do I want from you?

1)    If you would like to become part of the Nottingham Women Experts Network, please email me on Elizabeth.Cass at nottingham.ac.uk<mailto:Elizabeth.Cass at nottingham.ac.uk> and I will send you the date of the first event - please feel free to also suggest training or events you would like to see, or to invite along other expert women you know.

2)    If you aren't already on our Media Guide to Expertise (both the women-only and the general guide) and would like to be, then please complete this form<http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/news/expertiseguide/becoming-an-expert-in-the-media-guide-to-expertise.aspx>.

3)    If you are in the current general guide to expertise but would prefer not to feature in the hard copy version, Nottingham's Women Experts, please email me this week and I will not include your profile.

Thanks,

Liz Cass
Head of News

External Relations