[psychology-visionlist] Psychophysics question

Jan Derrfuss jan.derrfuss at nottingham.ac.uk
Mon Jul 4 10:16:56 BST 2016

Dear all,

I was wondering if someone might be able to help me with a psychophysics
question. I would like to run an fMRI experiment involving a motion and
a colour task. The exact design is still an open question, but I imagine
something along the following lines: Stimuli would consist of moving
grey dots and stationary coloured dots. In one set of blocks,
participants would be instructed to attend to the moving dots. The task
would be to detect occasional changes in the movement speed. In the
other blocks, participants would be instructed to attend to the coloured
dots. The task would be to detect occasional changes in the colour.

I would like to have an easy (e.g., 90% of changes detected) and a
difficult condition (e.g., 50% of changes detected), and I would like
these values to be as similar as possible for the motion and the colour
task and across participants. So far, so good. Now, I suspect there
would be little point in doing the threshold adjustment outside the
scanner (as I would not expect a threshold identified on a monitor
outside the scanner to carry over to the projection screen used inside
the scanner). In the scanner, however, time is money, and even if I ran
a thresholding procedure during the anatomical scans, there would likely
not be more than 10 minutes available. My question: Do I stand any
chance of achieving what I would like within 10 minutes or so?

Any input would be very much appreciated.

Cheers,
Jan

--

Dr. Jan Derrfuss