[Metal] Automatic generation of MCQ questions

Joel Feinstein Joel.Feinstein at nottingham.ac.uk
Wed May 16 09:47:22 BST 2012

Hi everyone,
(See also my previous post.)

Feedback I have received so far from this list and further afield suggests that a number of people are interested in this type of product.

Some work has already been done on this. For example, Maple TA can apparently do some or all of what I want, and there are several other interesting systems which have been developed around the country (including Nottingham, as Claire Chambers has pointed out!).

What is less clear so far is the extent to which any of the existing systems can export questions in forms suitable for inputting into a variety of other systems, e.g. Moodle and Rogo etc.

There certainly appears scope for collaboration with a number of interested groups around the country on question design and implementation.

Does anyone know whether existing systems can generate question banks of the type I suggested, and then export them in a variety of standard formats? This might also be a possible direction worth pursuing.

I am interested in making the product as widely available and as useful as possible. Generally I am biased towards generating free products, to maximize uptake and impact. But I suppose there might be some associated commercial possibilities.

Best wishes,
   Joel

--
 Dr J. Feinstein       Tel:  +44-115-9514968
Pure Mathematics      FAX:  +44-115-9514951