[Metal] Re: Elluminate room

Sally Barton Sally.Barton at nottingham.ac.uk
Wed Jun 22 18:58:47 BST 2011

Dear all,

for those of you who want to explore Elluminate further then https://www.elluminate.com/Support
is the place to start  as it will check that you have the required software and provide access to a "configuration room" where you can try using the whiteboard tools etc.
The website to get your own free room is
http://www.learncentral.org/user/vroomreg

and to answer a question asked today - you CAN save the whiteboards from this room even though you can't record the session.

Another question asked was whether you can get "just the room" I said yes, but in checking some of the links I realise that the merger with Blackboard and Wimba means it isn't quite so clear.  They say Elluminate Live! will be supported until December 2012 and if you ask for a "free trial" it is Elluminate Live!  you are offered not Blackboard Collaborate....  The room does seem to come with Plan (which I used to have but never really used) and Publish - which I do have and is what I use to create stand alone recordings and to create video output which can be edited.

There are many help documents and recorded sessions.  The Nottingham room is set up slightly differently to the standard room so I have made my own explanatory session, though please ignore mins 1 - 3: when I was making the recording I thought you would be able to see what I was doing but you can't... the rest should be useful:
https://sas.elluminate.com/p.jnlp?psid=2010-08-28.1831.D.D15E3FBA34FA91FF463F3E036D689F.vcr&sid=vclass

The website I refer to at the end with Elluminate training for specific tools is
https://www.elluminate.com/Services/Training/Elluminate_Live!/?id=418

I am happy for other departments to use the mathematics room - please just let me know if you want to organise any meetings in the room (you can "visit" the room any time).  I am not releasing the website for the recordings so you will have to let me know that you are planning to use the room if you want access to your recording!

I am also interested in encouraging students to use the room for informal learning groups or for project work so do feel free to offer it to your students - though as above I ask that they let me know when they plan to be in the room.  They cannot "damage the room" the only inconvenience comes if someone fails to leave the room as it is then not possible to have two separate recordings

Over the summer I am only using the Elluminate room with resit students so it should be free most of the time.

The link for our room  is https://sas.elluminate.com/d.jnlp?sid=vclass&password=AZK3J81P6514ZKV25OGA

If you record a meeting I will send the link fro the recording to whoever informed me about the session (it is usually available from approx 5 minutes after the last person leaves the meeting).  If you want to use the room to make a "podcast" then I can convert your recording to an .avi or .mp4 file (and some other formats that I would need to look up).
Do ask any questions
Sally

Sally