[Maths-Education] Sad news from Nottingham

Geoffrey Wake Geoffrey.Wake at nottingham.ac.uk
Mon Feb 5 14:09:13 GMT 2024

Dear colleagues, I write from Nottingham on behalf of us all here with the very sad news that Hugh Burkhardt sadly died on Saturday.
Hugh has been an important part of the team here for many years - for way longer than I personally have had the privilege to work with him and those who have become friends and colleagues.

Those who knew Hugh will know what an immense contribution he has made over many years to maths education here, more widely and, especially through ISDDE, internationally.

He will be sadly missed, especially as he was so excited about recent developments here involving our Observatory for Mathematical Education and keen to make a contribution to this new (ad)venture.

He had recently been working on developing a comprehensive history of mathematics education at Nottingham, documenting the work of the Shell Centre and more recent curriculum design engineering and our other research. We look forward to sharing that in the near future.

His passing has been sudden, and those who know Hugh may take some solace in knowing that only on Friday evening he had dinner with friends at his favourite restaurant. No doubt with a fine glass of wine.

Our thoughts are with his family, especially Jeanne and children, and we are thankful that we had the privilege to be part of his professional family and to have  benefitted form his generous support for so long.

Geoff Wake