[Maths-Education] PLATINUM Webinar 2 -- “Bringing Inquiry Into One’s Mathematics Classroom”

Barbara Jaworski B.Jaworski at lboro.ac.uk
Tue May 4 16:46:02 BST 2021

Dear Colleagues

You may recall that we, the PLATINUM team, held our first Webinar in April recently.
There, we introduced our Erasmus+ project PLATINUM – Partnership for Learning and Teaching IN University Mathematics.
That webinar is still available on the PLATINUM website, platinum.uia.no if you are interested.

This message is to let you know that our second webinar will follow on Friday this week (7th May).
You can find details and a registration link below.

The topic is “Bringing Inquiry Into One’s Mathematics Classroom”
We shall be focusing on specifically “Inquiry-based Tasks and Teaching Units in University Mathematics”

We have invited Professor John Mason to be our guest presenter.
John will demonstrate and discuss mathematical  animations to engage participants and to suggest activities in which we might engage our students, with attention to the associated pedagogy.

You can access the detailed programme of the webinar by registering using the link below. It is free.

All very good wishes
Barbara

Subject: Registration open: May 7 2021, 15.00-18.00: “Bringing Inquiry Into One’s Mathematics Classroom”

Dear colleagues,
It is our pleasure to inform you that the registration is open now for the international online event:
“Bringing Inquiry Into One’s Mathematics Classroom”
May 7 from 15.00-18.00.
Please find the programme and the registration link at:
https://platinum.uia.no/platinum-workshop-bringing-inquiry-into-ones-mathematics-classroom/

Audience: university mathematics teaching, but the workshop is open to all participants interested in teaching and learning mathematics through inquiry and fostering own mathematical thinking.

Invited speaker: Professor John Mason (Open University, UK)
Participants will be invited to engage in a sequence of tasks designed to stimulate discussion about getting students to explore mathematical ideas. The first step is to be mathematical both with and in front of learners, immersing them in a conjecturing atmosphere and in a culture of inquiry, which will be exemplified in the session. A range of pedagogic actions will be used in order to illustrate how, over time, learners can be encouraged to take responsibility for themselves, so as both to appreciate and comprehend the mathematical ideas, theorems, and techniques that make up their course.

This event is organized by the Erasmus+ PLATINUM (Partnership for Learning and Teaching in University Mathematics) project.https://platinum.uia.no/
Welcome to forward this information to the people who might be interested in this event!

The PLATINUM team

Professor B Jaworski
Mathematics Education Centre
Loughborough University