[Maths-Education] Association of Teachers of Mathematics Working Group on Visualisation

Peter Gates Peter.Gates at nottingham.ac.uk
Fri Nov 1 12:00:50 GMT 2019

[cid:image001.png at 01D590AB.FFC251B0]

Visualisation, Imagery, Spatial Understanding and Learning Working Group

This is a new ATM Working Group intended to provide the opportunity to enhance the use of visual, diagrammatic, and spatial approaches
across the mathematics curriculum. All are invited to participate and contribute. We will explore when and how we could replace some
teacher talk and written text with more use of visual cues and diagrams. We will be creating resources and designing tasks drawing on
research, current good practice and creative thinking. The group will invite speakers with expertise in visualisation, and discuss research and
other publications in the area.

The first meeting of the VISUAL Working Group will be on Saturday 23rd November 2019 in Room A34
at the School of Education, University of Nottingham Jubilee Campus Wollaton Road, NG8 1BB.
>From 10:00 - 15:00. Park in Visitors' Car Park. (My mobile 0773 0808 353 if you get lost)

As this is a Saturday, there is unlikely to be much catering on site. There is a Starbucks on the campus,
but you may want to consider bringing something.

Please bring along anything you think the group might be interested in looking at.

Morning
1. Welcome
What is the group for?

2. Visualisation and social class. What are the issues?
Peter Gates, School of Education, University of Nottingham

3. Using vectors in teaching arithmetic
Pete Mattock, Brockington College, Leicester

4. Algebra tiles: GCSE students' and their teachers' responses to multiple representations of algebraic expressions
Sally Bamber, University of Chester
Afternoon
4. Visual Teaching and Learning in Maths: Perspectives from the Learning Sciences
Shaaron Ainsworth, School of Education, University of Nottingham

5. Where next for visual approaches? Where next for the Group?

If you intend coming, please let me know. If you can't come but are interested in being kept informed, do email me to go onto our mailing list.

Best Wishes,

Peter

Dr Peter Gates
School of Education
University of Nottingham
Jubilee Campus
Nottingham NG8 1BB
Tel: +44 (0)773 0808 353

Gates, Peter (2019) "Why the (social) class you are in still matters", in Constantinos Xenofontos (Ed.) Equity in Mathematics Education. Addressing a Changing World. Charlotte: Information Age Publishing, pps 41-64.