[Maths-Education] Free seminar on MMU's Nuffield funded project on RME and GCSE resit - 15 November

Sue Pope sa.pope at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Oct 22 08:14:35 BST 2017

|    |

|    Developing Classroom Approaches Based on Realistic Mathematics Education Free Event at Manchester Metropolitan University​         You are warmly invited to a FREE event to mark the publication of our report 'Investigating the impact of a Realistic Mathematics Education approach on achievement and attitudes in Post-16 GCSE resit classes'*, funded by the Nuffield Foundation. About the Event ·         Sue Hough and Yvette Solomon will present the findings of this project ·         There will be opportunity to network and find out ways to develop classroom approaches based on Realistic Mathematics Education ·         Refreshments will be served before and after the presentation When and where ·         Wednesday 15th November from 5:30pm to 7:30pm with a presentation at 6pm ·         At Manchester Metropolitan University, Brooks Building, Manchester    |   |
|  ​  |    About the Project Thousands of students fail to achieve an acceptable pass grade in GCSE mathematics every year, limiting their further training and career prospects. For many, a history of repeated failure in mathematics leads to low confidence levels and a tendency to rely on mis-remembered rules applied without understanding.  Re-sit examination success rates are often poor.   In this project, we trialled the use of an alternative approach: Realistic Mathematics Education prioritises use of context and model-building to engage and motivate students, enabling them to visualise mathematical processes and make sense of what they are doing without resorting to rules and procedures which have no meaning.     |  ​  |

|    This event will be of interest to: ·         Mathematics teachers in Secondary and Post 16 sectors ·         Teacher educators ·         Researchers in mathematics education For more information please contact stem.education at mmu.ac.uk. Kind Regards,
 Sue Hough and Yvette Solomon   Sue Hough (Senior Lecturer)
 Yvette Solomon (Professor of Education) Manchester Metropolitan University           |

 |      |

|  *This project was funded by the Nuffield Foundation, but the views expressed are those of the authors and not necessarily those of the Foundation.    |