[Maths-Education] Book celebrating Stephen Lerman's career

Peter Gates Peter.Gates at nottingham.ac.uk
Thu Sep 18 10:21:58 BST 2014

As you may know Stephen Lerman recently retired from London South Bank University and was granted emeritus status. To mark his contribution and celebrate his long career in mathematics education, Robyn Jorgensen and I have edited a book to be published by Springer in November 2014.

The book is titled: Shifts in the field of Mathematics Education: Stephen Lerman and the turn to the social. (http://tinyurl.com/lermanbook)

We are launching the book in London at London South Bank University where Steve worked for 25 years. A flyer is attached. The book consists of 17 chapters from colleagues around the world all of whom have had a close association with Steve stretching back years.

The launch will be on Friday 7th November, 4:30 pm  at London Southbank University. It will be in Room V211 in the K2 Building which is on Keyworth Street (SE1 6NG). See map attached

We are pleased Barbara Jaworski will be there as will Candia Morgan both of whom have agreed to speak. Barbara has a chapter in the book, and now works with Steve at Loughborough University.  Candia has known and worked closely with Steve for many years. Peter Winbourne who worked closely with Steve for 25 year or so will be talking on Steve's career! Robyn and I will also be there to talk about the book and its intended contribution. Steve will be at the launch and will also make a presentation.

There is an Eventbrite page which gives information about the launch and registration. London Southbank are providing refreshments etc. and Springer are paying speakers' travel expenses.

http://www.eventbrite.com/e/book-launch-celebrating-the-work-of-steve-lerman-tickets-13175178313

You are welcome to come along, but please register (it's free!) just so we know how many biscuits to order! - and  please feel free to circulate this.

Peter Gates and Robyn Jorgensen

Dr Peter Gates
Centre for Research in Mathematics Education
School of Education
+44 (0)115 951 4432 | peter.gates at nottingham.ac.uk<mailto:peter.gates at nottingham.ac.uk> | University web Page<http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/Education/People/peter.gates> |  www.petergates.org
School of Education  |  The  University  of Nottingham  |   Jubilee    Campus   | Nottingham NG8 1BB

The Eighth Mathematics Education and Society conference will be held at Portland, Oregon, June 21-26, 2015. This conference is an international forum for the discussion of historical, cultural, social, and political issues relating to mathematics education. The Second Announcement is now available at http://www.tiny.cc/mes8 which contains a link to the registration portal. Any queries may be sent to Brian Greer at brian1060ne at yahoo.com<mailto:brian1060ne at yahoo.com>

[cid:image002.png at 01CFD325.7A7DA8E0]<http://www.facebook.com/TheUniofNottingham> [cid:image003.png at 01CFD325.7A7DA8E0] <http://twitter.com/UniofNottingham>  [cid:image004.png at 01CFD325.7A7DA8E0] <http://www.youtube.com/nottmuniversity>  [cid:image005.png at 01CFD325.7A7DA8E0] <http://www.flickr.com/photos/uonottingham/>
[cid:image006.png at 01CFD325.7A7DA8E0]<http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/itunesu>
[cid:image007.png at 01CFD325.7A7DA8E0]
w: Impact: The Nottingham Campaign<http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/impactcampaign>

[cid:image008.jpg at 01CFD325.7A7DA8E0]