[Maths-Education] Re: research on feedback and formative assessment?

Alison Clark-Wilson A.Clark-Wilson at ioe.ac.uk
Fri Oct 31 10:49:47 GMT 2014

Hi Kate and all,

Newcastle University is leading a 3-year EU funded project on just this
theme (in mathematics and science education, with an emphasis on
addressing low attainment)

Improving Progress for Lower Achievers through Formative Assessment in
Science and Mathematics Education (FaSMEd)

https://research.ncl.ac.uk/fasmed/

Their literature review will be useful to you I am sureŠ
Alison

Dr Alison Clark-Wilson

Research Fellow
London Knowledge Lab
Institute of Education
23-29 Emerald St
London
WC1N 3QS

phone: 00 44 (0)7815 609791
email: a.clark-wilson at ioe.ac.uk

On 23/10/2014 21:11, "Kate Mackrell" <katemackrell at sympatico.ca> wrote:

>CEMSE at the University of Chicago is trying to "cover all bases" in a
>proposal re the above in a technology environment.  We have found some
>excellent literature (see refs below), but wonder if there is any other
>interesting stuff out there that people know about.  In particular, we
>are looking for:
>
>a.  any frameworks for feedback and formative assessment in technological
>environments?
>
>b. any recent evidence re the frequency of feedback/formative assessment
>in classrooms?
>
>We'd also love to hear from anyone doing similar work!
>
>Kate Mackrell
>
>Bibliography so far:
>
>Bellman, A., Foshay, W., & Gremillion, D. (2014). A developmental model
>for adaptive and differentiated instruction using classroom networking
>technology. In A. Clark-Wilson et al. (Eds.), The Mathematics Teacher in
>the Digital Era, Springer: Dordrecht.
>
>Black, P. J., & Wiliam, D. (1998). Assessment and classroom learning.
>Assessment in Education: Principles, Policy and Practice, 5(1), 7­74.
>
>Drijvers, P., Boon, P., Doorman, M., Bokhove, C., & Tacoma, S. (2013).
>Digital design: RME principles for designing online tasks. In C.
>Margolinas (Ed.). Task Design in Mathematics Education: Proceedings of
>ICMI Study 22, 55-62.
>
>Geiger, V., & Redmond, T. (2013). Designing mathematical modelling tasks
>in a technology rich secondary school context. In C. Margolinas (Ed.).
>Task Design in Mathematics Education: Proceedings of ICMI Study 22,
>121-130.
>
>Gutierrez-Santos, S., Mavrikis, M., & Magoulas, G. (2010). Layered
>development and evaluation for Intelligent Support in Exploratory
>Environments: the case of microworlds. Volume 6094 of Lecture Notes in
>Computer Science, pp. 105-114. Heidelberg: Springer.
>
>Hattie, J. & Helen Timperley, H. (2007). The Power of Feedback, Review of
>Educational Research, 77(1), 81­112.
>
>Joubert, M. (2013) Using computers in classroom mathematical tasks:
>revisiting theory to develop recommendations for the design of tasks. In
>C. Margolinas (Ed.) Task Design in Mathematics Education: Proceedings of
>ICMI Study 22, 71-80.
>
>Lee, H., Feldman, A., & Beatty, I. (2012). Factors that affect science
>and mathematics teachers¹ initial implementation of technology-enhanced
>formative assessment using a classroom response system, J Sci Educ
>Technol, 21, 523­539.
>
>Mackrell, K., Maschietto, M., & Soury-Lavergne, S. (2013). The
>interaction between task design and technology design in creating tasks
>with Cabri Elem.  In C. Margolinas (Ed.) Task Design in Mathematics
>Education: Proceedings of ICMI Study 22, 81-90.
>
>Mavrikis, M., Noss, R., Hoyles, C., & Geraniou E. (2013). Sowing the
>seeds of algebraic generalisation: designing epistemic affordances for an
>intelligent microworld. Journal of Computer Assisted Learning, 29(1),
>68-85.

> [...]

The Institute of Education: Number 1 worldwide for Education, 2014 QS World University Rankings