[Maths-Education] Submissions invited for PoME journal; Sexism

Ernest, Paul P.Ernest at exeter.ac.uk
Sat May 10 11:44:49 BST 2014

Dear Colleagues

I am putting together the 2014 issue of the Philosophy of Mathematics Education Journal and would welcome submissions from graduate students and researchers at all levels with interests in this area. Anything reflective or theoretical relevant to Mathematics Education, to the Philosophy of Mathematics, or to mathematics is welcome. I already have some great submissions. If unsure about the suitablity of your comment, assignment paper, article or chapter (new or already published) just ask me. Our acceptance rate is over 75%. You retain full copyright of your paper. Check out the journal at http://www.people.ex.ac.uk/PErnest/

On Thursday night I watched Kirsty Wark presenting Blurred Lines: The New Battle of the Sexes on BBC TV.
Naively I thought that, just as in school mathematics where girls and women have been progressing towards overall equality in UK and much of the west*, that sexism overall was being pushed back. This programme demonstrates that there is a War Against Women being fought right now. Watch it, it's an eye-opener and a shocker!

It's on WWW.BBC.CO.UK, although it may not be easily accessed outside the UK - I don't know!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0436qlw/Blurred_Lines_The_New_Battle_of_the_Sexes/

* I acknowledge, of course, that although achievement in maths is pretty equal across the sexes in the school years to 16 there is still a problem of female underparticipation post-16 due to many factors including the enduring male image of mathematics. Still plenty of room for research in this area!

Best wishes

Paul

_________
Paul Ernest
Emeritus Professor, Education, Exeter University, Exeter, EX1 2LU, UK
Homepage http://www.people.ex.ac.uk/PErnest/ Philosophy of Maths Ed Journal
Amazon author page: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Paul-Ernest/e/B001K8D5B2

Latest (joint) paper "Explorations in knowing: thinking psychosocially about legitimacy" by Anne Chappell<http://www.tandfonline.com/action/doSearch?Contrib=Chappell%2C+A>, Paul Ernest<http://www.tandfonline.com/action/doSearch?Contrib=Ernest%2C+P>, Geeta Ludhra<http://www.tandfonline.com/action/doSearch?Contrib=Ludhra%2C+G> & Heather Mendick<http://www.tandfonline.com/action/doSearch?Contrib=Mendick%2C+H> available at: http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/14681366.2013.877205.