[Maths-Education] Please support my petition and send it on to others

Toni Beardon lab11 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Jul 18 12:42:56 BST 2014

Dear Friends,

I just created the petition "Change UK immigration practices that
deter talented international students" and I want to ask if you could
add your name too.

I did this because yesterday, some friends of ours from Chennai met
with the unpleasant face of UK immigration practices. Mandira, age
17, was on her way to the UK to do a 2 week course for High School
students in Cambridge that starts on Sunday. She was with her mother
and younger sister, and they also planned to visit some other
universities because Mandira wants to apply to UK universities to
study medicine starting in September 2015. They were turned back and
put on a plane back to India because, although Mandira has permanent
residency in the UK she has not been in the UK for over 2 years. This
was probably a mistake on the part of some officious individual but
never-the-less it is typical.

Having just seen a reference in the LMS newsletter I had just read
the House of Lords Science and Technology report (April 2014)
http://tinyurl.com/nbqbvca that recommends a change in immigration
practices relating to foreign students and states "When we really
need to send the message that international STEM students will get a
warm welcome in the UK, they're getting the cold shoulder and heading
elsewhere. We've seen over the last few years how international
student numbers have fallen dramatically, in particular from India.
As a result we're missing out on the talent, the economic and
cultural contribution that international students bring when they
come here to study, and our competitors are reaping the rewards."

This campaign means a lot to me and the more support we can get
behind it, the better chance we have of succeeding. You can read more
and sign the petition here:

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/change-uk-immigration-practices-that-deter-talented-international-students

Thank you!

Toni

P.S. Can you also take a moment to share the petition with others?
It's really easy - all you need to do is forward this email or share
this link on Facebook or Twitter:

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/change-uk-immigration-practices-that-deter-talented-international-students

--
Toni Beardon OBE

Retired from University of Cambridge NRICH/MMP http://mmp.maths.org

& African Institute for Mathematical Sciences Schools Enrichment
Centre (AIMSSEC) http://aimssec.aims.ac.za

Tel: +(44) 7714 357042  &  +(27) 7230 88186

Provide funds for AIMSSEC without paying anything:
http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/how-it-works/