[Maths-Education] Re: Ethnomathematics

Alan Rogerson alan at cdnalma.poznan.pl
Tue Apr 1 08:38:09 BST 2014

*I am sending this to the list in case others may have this information
as below.**
****
**Dear Dylan,**
**Ubi gave a very important and influential talk at the ICME 1976
Karlsruhe conference, mainly about Maths for All, which I attended. I
don't recall if he used the word "ethnomathematics" then or during the
conference, but it should be easy to check (if you haven't already) from
the proceedings.**
**Please let me know if you find he did.**
**Ubi is a good friend I met before 1976 in Bielefeld and later on
visits to Brazil and I imagine it was certainly he who coined the
phrase, or made it popular in maths education.**
**Best wishes,**
**Alan**
*