[Maths-Education] Re: : The Khan Academy

Douglas Butler debutler at argonet.co.uk
Sun Mar 18 09:46:47 GMT 2012

Yes I have been aware of these for a while now.  If you read his biography
 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salman_Khan_%28educator%29> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salman_Khan_%28educator%29
he holds three degrees and chanced into making videos while tutoring a young relative. He has made over 3000 videos, and is now funded directly by the Gates Foundation.

My worry is that he has never taught classroom mathematics, and it would be a minor miracle if one person could teach all this content effectively.  So the quality is very variable and he has yet to embrace any of the advantages of using dynamic software.  No doubt that will follow, but meanwhile, for example, his take on the Histogram is laughable:

 <http://www.khanacademy.org/math/algebra/ck12-algebra-1/v/histograms> http://www.khanacademy.org/math/algebra/ck12-algebra-1/v/histograms

Like so much on the web, this large and influential contribution needs to be taken with a pinch of salt. But who is there to say which videos are any good and which are rubbish?

Douglas

== from Douglas Butler   < <mailto:debutler at argonet.co.uk> debutler at argonet.co.uk > ==

Director, iCT TRAINING CENTRE (OUNDLE)

PO Box 46, Oundle, Peterborough PE8 4EJ, UK

T: +44 (0)1832 273444 F: 273529  M: 07860 843462

Tw: douglasbutler1   <http://www.youtube.com/douglasbutler> YouTube channel     <http://www.tsm-resources.com/> tsm-resources