[Maths-Education] Maths-Art event at LKL, 8 December: A Pre-Xmas Mathematics and Art “Hands on”

Phillip Kent phillip.kent at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 23:45:46 GMT 2011

** PLEASE CIRCULATE ** ALL WELCOME **

A PRE-XMAS MATHEMATICS AND ART "HANDS ON"
An LKL Maths-Art event
Thursday 8th December 2011, 6.00 - 7.30pm

After our successful pre-Xmas hands on event last year we are having
another less formal meeting. Come along for a relaxed and enjoyable
evening of practical explorations to get you involved with different
aspects of mathematics and art.

JOHN WOOTTON returns with more modular origami after his success last
year.

JOHN SHARP has an activity based around spirals and helices with paper
folding and sculpting with straw.

FELICITY WOOD invites you to explore weaving on cubes.

MICHAEL DOWLE has an novel activity entitled “It's a Wrap - Pentominic
Surfaces” where pentominoes are used to cover the surfaces of simple and
complex solid figures.

SIMON MORGAN will sculpt surfaces using wire and soap bubbles.

PHILLIP KENT will show his "Anamorphe Me!" software and let you play
with anamorphic images.

We hope to add more presenters - watch for further announcements.

TIME: 6.00 to 7.30pm
PLACE: London Knowledge Lab, 23-29 Emerald St, London, WC1N 3QS
[Travel information & maps at: http://bit.ly/LKL-MathsArt-venue ]

NEXT SEMINAR:
12 January: "Constructivism and maths in the art of Waldemar Cordeiro"
by Fabrizio Augusto Poltronieri.

LKLMathsArt on YouTube: a growing archive of videos
from the Maths-Art seminars. http://www.youtube.com/user/LKLMathsArt

LKL Maths-Art seminars are free to attend, and All are welcome. No
reservation is required, but an email to lkl.maths.art at gmail.com is
appreciated for planning purposes.

*Visit the website and seminar archive:
http://www.lkl.ac.uk/events/maths-art
*Join the email list for future seminar announcements: