[Maths-Education] Job opportunity at University of Southampton, UK

Jones D.K. D.K.Jones at soton.ac.uk
Fri May 20 14:21:14 BST 2011

Colleagues
[with apologies if you receive this more than once]

Please see below for details of a job opportunity at University of Southampton. The mathematics education group here at Southampton would especially welcome applicants with an interest in mathematics education for this position.

The closing date is 24 June 2011.

Please consider forwarding this message to anyone that you think might be interested in this opportunity. And please do contact me if I can help advise in any way.

best regards

Keith
-----------------
Keith Jones
University of Southampton
Southampton Education School
UK
e: dkj at soton.ac.uk
w: www.crme.soton.ac.uk
----------------

Job opportunity at University of Southampton, UK

Professor and Head of Southampton Education School

The University of Southampton is one of the top 15 research universities in the UK. To build on our education and research success to date, the Faculty of Social and Human Sciences is delighted to invite applications for a Professor in Education and Head of Southampton Education School (SES). Reporting to the Dean, the Head will be an internationally-recognised scholar able to lead SES with vision and drive, and contribute to the development of the Faculty. The Head of School will have responsibility for the strategic development of SES and will hold the role for a minimum of three years.

Southampton Education School is a flourishing centre of research and teaching. Based in new purpose-built facilities, SES has a strong range of programmes, including a new BSc in Education Studies, initial teacher education in primary, secondary and post-compulsory education, and a portfolio of Masters, professional development and doctoral programmes. It contributes to Southampton's Doctoral Training Centre (DTC) and is directly involved in the management of the ESRC National Centre for Research Methods in the Social Sciences, hosted by the Faculty. The research culture is fostered through a cross-School Research and Enterprise Group and through the engagement of staff with the large number of research students. Research is currently managed through four Research Centres (Leadership, School Improvement & Effectiveness; Lifelong & Work-Related Learning; Mathematics & Science Education; Social Justice & Inclusive Education). SES is also the base for the Science Learning Centre for the south east of England.

The successful applicant's research interests will align with at least one of our four research centres. The mathematics education group here at Southampton forms the major part of the Mathematics and Science Education Research Centre:
http://www.education.soton.ac.uk/research/research_centres/

The University's Faculty of Social and Human Sciences also includes the University's School of Mathematics. This means that collaboration with our colleagues in mathematics is a natural part of what we do.

This post is currently being advertised. Details and forms are online at:
http://www.jobs.soton.ac.uk
Position number: 001411CJ

The University of Southampton is a founder member of the Worldwide Universities Network (WUN):
http://www.wun.ac.uk
and a founder member of the Russell Group, an association of 19 major research-intensive universities of the UK:
http://www.russellgroup.ac.uk