[Maths-Education] Re: ICT in mathematics

Hugh Burkhardt Hugh.Burkhardt at nottingham.ac.uk
Wed Mar 9 15:53:24 GMT 2011

Interesting stuff.

People may like to look at Section 4 (starting p 12) of
http://www.mathshell.org/papers/pdf/ISDDE_PARCC_Feb11.pdf
which looks at computer-based assessment in mathematics (currently proposed by the two US multi-state assessment consortia that are seeking to implement the new Common Core State Standards) It concludes that, while computers are indispensable for some aspects of assessment, they do not offer:
	a natural working medium for students working on non-routine mathematics problems
	established methods of scoring complex non-text responses (except by scanning and human scoring)
The section concludes with the statement:
"To summarize: given the basic principles that assessment should image desired instruction, because of WYTIWG[1], and that desired instruction has to be attainable in ordinary circumstances, a corollary is that computer use in assessment should image desired computer use in instruction."

The paper also discusses why, given all the wonderful maths software of so many kinds developed over the last 30+ years,  the school maths classroom is the only place where computers do not play a major part in doing maths.  The complex set of reasons includes levels of provision that vary with a time scale that is much shorter than the decade or so needed to develop a "computer-assisted mathematics curriculum"**  with examinations to match.  We need a much more flexible model of change to close this credibility gap in school maths.  Alternative modules might provide a way forward.

Hugh

**  INterestingly, a comprehensive middle school curriculum with a similar title was developed at the University of Minnesota in the 1960s by David C Johnson (later at Kings), Larry Hatfield and others.  The students programmed maths in BASIC over a line to the university mainframe.  Tom Kieran  showed that this approach provided a "semi-concrete" bridge that got twice as many students through to fluency with normal algebra as the standard comparison curriculum.

[1]   “What You Test Is What You Get” Burkhardt, H. 1987, The Dynamics of Curriculum Change in Developments in School Mathematics Worldwide, Wirszup, I & Streit, R. (Eds.) Chicago: University of Chicago School Mathematics Project.