[Maths-Education] Re: ICT in mathematics

dylanwiliam at mac.com dylanwiliam at mac.com
Sun Mar 6 07:36:59 GMT 2011

Jacob Cohen's views about the interpretation of effect sizes are widely accepted but it is important to note that they were based on experiences in psychology, rather than education. In psychology, an effect size of 0.2 might be small, but in education it is huge. This is because the average increase in achievement in mathematics (and most other subjects) is 0.4 standard deviations per year. An effect size of 0.2 therefore represents a 50% increase in the rate of learning—a very dramatic effect that, if it could be replicated across just one year group in England, would have a net present value equivalent to around three times the national debt.

This 0.4 figure is what Hattie was quoting. He was basically saying that ordinary teaching will give you 0.4 standard deviations per year, so all interventions should be measured against this baseline. The figures quoted in most of the Carnegie studies are against comparison groups over the same period, so the 0.4 has already been subtracted. The other thing to say about Hattie's "Visible Learning" project is that the use of meta-analysis in such situations is problematic. First, measures of educational outcomes differ in their sensitivity to instruction, so apparently similar measures would give different effect sizes for the same intervention. Second, the calculation of effect sizes uses the standard deviation of the control and treatment groups as a divisor. Where the groups are sub-group of the whole population, this divisor will be smaller, and so the effect size will be larger. This partly explains why interventions for students with special educational needs appear to provide larger effects (See Fuchs & Fuchs, 1986), but more importantly means that where studies are not conducting on representative samples of the whole population, average effect sizes are difficult, if not impossible, to interpret.

Most readers of this thread will have had enough about this already, but for those that want to read more about effect sizes in education, and sensitivity to instruction, I have written more about this in: Wiliam, D. (2010). Standardized testing and school accountability. Educational Psychologist, 45(2), 107-122.

Regarding Howard's second point, it is important to note that the Cognitive Tutor was designed to do just one thing: teach procedural aspects of algebra to ninth grade students in the United States. In many countries, these particular aspects of algebra are not regarded as particularly important, but in the US, this is a substantial proportion (perhaps 50%) of what students do in ninth grade mathematics. In terms of these very limited goals, Cognitive Tutor does a good job (by my estimate, it is better than 90% of teachers). Of course we should work to increase teachers' pedagogical content knowledge, but while we do this I think we need to worry about the students who are being taught right now. I would love to get to a point where every teacher is better than Cognitive Tutor, but while we are getting there, we need also to think about the short term.

Dylan Wiliam