[Maths-Education] Job opportunity at University of Southampton, UK

Jones D.K. D.K.Jones at soton.ac.uk
Fri Jul 1 17:56:40 BST 2011

Colleagues
[with apologies if you receive this more than once]

Please see below for details of a job opportunity at University of Southampton.

The closing date is 11 July 2011

Please consider forwarding this message to anyone that you think might be interested in this opportunity. And please do contact me if I can help advise in any way.

best regards

Keith
-----------------
Keith Jones
University of Southampton
Southampton Education School
UK
e: dkj at soton.ac.uk
w: www.crme.soton.ac.uk

----------------

Job opportunity at University of Southampton, UK
https://www.jobs.soton.ac.uk/Vacancy.aspx?ref=019511CJ

Senior Teaching Fellow in Primary and Lower Secondary Mathematics (0.6fte fixed term)

The PGCE programmes at the University of Southampton work with many partner schools to offer postgraduate trainee teachers an excellent start to their teaching careers. Our one year programmes provide thorough preparation for teaching in relation to the QTS standards, while seeking to develop teachers whose independent and creative approaches will bring about high quality learning and inspire young learners. The person appointed to this post will be responsible for teaching and managing elements of our Mathematics Education provision, in partnership with the Mathematics Education lead tutors; this is likely to include monitoring and assessing trainees' Mathematics coursework; marking written assignments;  supporting trainees as a professional tutor; supervising trainees on school placement; and participating in other PGCE team activities as required.  Recent relevant mathematics teaching experience and familiarity with current priorities in the area of Mathematics Education are essential. Generally, the post holder will work for three days each week although a degree of flexibility is desirable.

The University of Southampton is one of the top 15 research universities in the UK. Southampton Education School (SES) is a flourishing centre of research and teaching. Based in new purpose-built facilities, SES has a strong range of programmes, including a new BSc in Education Studies, initial teacher education in primary, secondary and post-compulsory education, and a portfolio of Masters, professional development and doctoral programmes. We contribute to Southampton University's ESRC-funded Doctoral Training Centre (DTC) and are directly involved in the management of the ESRC National Centre for Research Methods in the Social Sciences, hosted by the Faculty. The mathematics education group here at Southampton forms the major part of the Mathematics and Science Education Research Centre:
http://www.soton.ac.uk/education/research/centres.page

The Southampton Education School is in the Faculty of Social and Human Sciences, as is the University's School of Mathematics. This means that collaboration with our colleagues in Mathematics is a natural part of what we do.

This post is currently being advertised. Details and information on how to apply online are at:
https://www.jobs.soton.ac.uk/Vacancy.aspx?ref=019511CJ

The University of Southampton is a founder member of the Russell Group, an association of the major research-intensive universities of the UK:
http://www.russellgroup.ac.uk
and a founder member of the Worldwide Universities Network (WUN):
http://www.wun.ac.uk