[Maths-Education] Re: The Plagiarism Scandal of Guttenberg

Alan Rogerson alan at rogerson.pol.pl
Mon Feb 28 13:26:29 GMT 2011

Dear Hugh,

I am sorry you seem to be treating this matter so lightly, and BTW it is
Guttenberg not Guttenburg, if you are wondering which of us cannot spell

Here is some more background for others on the list who may wish to
treat this matter more seriously and  join the tens of thousands of
academics and add their names to the letter to Merkel.

The BBC reported that: The University of Bayreuth decided that Mr
Guttenberg had "violated scientific duties to a considerable extent" ie
that he failed in the rigorous duty with regard to selection and
organisation of evidence, data, etc, which we hope is indeed
characteristic of science (and by implication here also of law).

I too hope that all scientists, and indeed all academics, will rally to
condemn plagiarism of this gross extent, which at the very least raises
serious doubts about the honesty, reliability and ethical standards (or
lack of them) of this Minister. Equally disturbing is the fact that he
at first called the accusations "absurd" and ..."while vehemently
rejecting the accusations of plagiarism, the minister told reporters he
was happy to check to see whether there had been any omissions or errors
in the 1,200 footnotes."
but then...
"Analysis [later] revealed that more than half of his thesis had long
sections lifted word-for-word from the work of others."
The BBC also noted:" Karl-Theodor zu Guttenberg, an aristocrat who lives
in a Bavarian castle, admitted breaching standards but denied
deliberately cheating."

The word "cheating" seems to have taken on an incredibly flexible
meaning here! And is there such a thing as... not deliberately cheating
(accidentally cheating?)
All quotes above are from the BBC reports.

The growing protests are not merely about plagiarism, dishonest as that
is, but about the way Merkel is handling the affair. Please have a look
at the links in the last post for details and you will see what this means.

Best wishes,

Alan