[Maths-Education] Research and teacher practices for 'working class' underachievement in secondary mathematics

Phillip Kent phillip.kent at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 14:08:19 GMT 2011

Dear colleagues,

I'd appreciate some pointers to research and guidance on dealing with
the problem of 'working class' underachievement in maths in secondary
school. I realise there is a huge literature on this, in terms of
statistical analysis on the existence of the problem, sociological-type
analysis of classroom behaviours (a la Bernstein, etc), and research on
teachers' beliefs about 'ability' and so on.

However, I'm specifically interested in any research/guidance about what
is effective for maths teachers to do in practice in classrooms. There
is a very familiar type of student who for 'social' reasons comes to
construct for him or herself an identity as someone who 'can't do
maths', which is not related to his or her actual mathematical
potential. Then how should the teacher break through this identity to
tap into the actual potential and interest?

Perhaps I am wrong to see this as essentially a problem of 'class'. Any
thoughts welcome.

- Phillip

--
++++++