[Maths-Education] Re: Validity of muliple choice questions

Julian Gilbey julian at d-and-j.net
Thu Aug 11 17:28:56 BST 2011

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 10:39:20AM +0100, Tandi Clausen-May wrote:
> I urgently need references to research evidence that 'suggests that open
> response questions tap higher order skills than multiple choice questions',
> or that 'the validity of multiple choice questions is less than that of open
> response questions' in mathematics assessment at school level (Key Stage 2,
> 3 or 4).   Can anybody help?

I could not improve on what Dylan wrote, but as a thought: the level
of skills tested by the UKMT Mathematics Challenges (and international
equivalents), especially by the follow-on stages such as the European
Kangaroos (all of which are multiple choice) or the American AIME
tests (which ask for three-digit answers only), is far in excess of
that demanded by any GCSE or SATS paper.

   Julian