[Maths-Education] News from NRICH

Charlie Gilderdale cfg21 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Nov 1 10:25:23 GMT 2010

Dear colleagues

The November edition of the NRICH website is now live at http://nrich.maths.org/thismonth

In this month's problems we have focussed on likelihood and probability, and on the site you will find activities which offer opportunities for experimenting with a range of situations whose outcomes may surprise you. Can mathematics be used to explain why you shouldn't be so surprised? The articles offer some suggestions.

The Teachers' Notes accompanying each problem offer guidance to teachers on possible ways of engaging learners in the activity or challenge.
Learners can submit their solutions to the problems using the 'Submit a Solution' tab at the top of each problem. Solutions to the November problems will appear in January.

***

We now have a new portal page for Students working on Stage 5. This will contain frequently changing content with weekly challenges, investigations and Stage 3 fun.
Check it out at http://nrich.maths.org/student5

***

Curriculum Mapping documents for Stages 1, 2, 3 and 4 have all been updated recently. You can download them from http://nrich.maths.org/curriculum

With best wishes from the NRICH Team.