[Maths-Education] Socio-Mathematical Identity

Tony Brown a.m.brown at mmu.ac.uk
Sat Mar 27 09:22:14 GMT 2010

HI Ng

Te following may be of use:

Brown and  McNamara. New teacher identity and regulative government: the discursive formation of primary mathematics teacher education. Springer, New York 2005.

new second edition is forthcoming with Springers's Maths education library series

Brown, T. (ed.) The psychology of mathematics education, Rotterdam: Sense (2008) explores similar themes.
see also two 2008 ESM papers

details of all can be found at this site

 http://www.esri.mmu.ac.uk/resstaff/profile.php?name=Tony&%20surname=Brown

Best wishes
Tony

On 21 Mar 2010, at 14:57, Ng Foo Keong wrote:

> ***********************************************************************************************************
> This message has been generated through the Mathematics Education email discussion list.
> Hitting the REPLY key sends a message to all list members.
> ***********************************************************************************************************
> hi all,
>
> i am doing a PhD study on "(Socio-) Mathematical Identity"
> and i wonder if anybody has fully operationalised the
> concept of Mathematical Identity.  [a person's identity with
> respect to mathematical practices or how "mathematical"
> one is]
>
> i am generally following Anna Sfard's approach of defining
> identity as a narrative, but i got shot down by my reviewers
> because i have not shown in full detail what Mathematical
> Identity really entails i.e. what are all the aspects/dimensions
> of mathematical identity.
>
> any help or pointers would be deeply appreciated.
>
> Ng, FK
> PhD student

Professor Tony Brown
Institute of Education