[Maths-Education] concentric and congruent circles

John Bibby johnbibbyjohnbibby at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 10:57:19 GMT 2010

Dear Kate

Greetings and thanks for your thoughts, which are partly about terminology
and partly about pedagogy.

As far as 'correct' terminology is concerned (i.e. the end-result which we
would like students to use in public discourse) I feel we should go for
'nested' definitions rather than definitions that exclude each other.

So primes, integers, reals, complex etc is a nested sequence and similarly
with trapez-thingies and paralelograms etc.

Thus concentric circles can be congruent ...  and v.v.

You say "I've been quite puzzled ... it might be about identity: if two
circles precisely overlap (i.e. are congruent and concentric), can we say
that two distinct circles exist? "

Mathematicians would be wise to steer well away from discussions about
'existence': in what sense does anything we describe 'exist'? Also, if two
things suddenly cease to exist when they are congruent, which one
disappears? And if we say that 2+3=5: does '5' exist AS WELL AS '2+3'. I
would say "Anything exists (matematically) once we have defined it". Even
the null set exists. (More generally - away from mathematics - "nothingness
exists" - wasn't 'le neant' the Sartrian term for this?

Now where pedagogy is concerned, things may be different - and pedagogy in
Malaysia may be different from that in Milton Keynes (and if so, we can
probably learn from examining the differences).

I hope that some of this helps rather than confuses.

Best regards

JOHN BIBBY

--
Best wishes for 2010

JOHN BIBBY
                    (NB: this is my only current email address now.)