[Maths-Education] Maths-Art Seminar at London Knowledge Lab: JANUARY 12th POSTPONED TO FEBRUARY 9th

Phillip Kent phillip.kent at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 17:13:15 GMT 2010

*** SEMINAR POSTPONED!! - NEW DETAILS AS FOLLOWS ***

*** PLEASE CIRCULATE ** ALL WELCOME ***

**Due to the uncertain weather conditions, we have POSTPONED the January 12th seminar
to February 9th, and the originally scheduled February seminar will be moved to March.
Apologies for the late change.**

CURVED FOLDING: FROM CRAFT TO ROBOFOLD®: CURVED FOLDING IN SHEET METAL

An LKL Maths-Art Seminar
by
Gregory Epps
Tuesday 9 February, 6.00 - 7.30pm

Most design which involves folding of flat surfaces, folds along straight lines.
For example, traditional Origami is all based on straight lines. However by drawing a
curved line on a sheet of paper, and scoring and creasing the line, a fold can
be made that generates two curved surfaces. It is a simple process that allows
complex shapes to appear in sheet material.

I have developed methods of curved folding to allow a wide range of sophisticated
surfaces to be created from a flat sheet. The process has its own language of forms
that can be folded within the constraints of the system. The forms must consist of sets
of developable surfaces (surfaces which can be unfolded to give a flat surface); this
challenges designers used to conventional folding. I will show how to manage this constraint
by using process based methodologies; this takes decision making out of the hands of the
designer and puts it back in the domain of the material itself. I will finish by demonstrating
some of the software tools under development.

GREGORY EPPS has been making things all his life since he started with
Lego as a small boy. He became an expert in papercraft which eventually
led to a Masters in Industrial Design Engineering at the Royal College
of Art. He is the founder of RoboFold Ltd [www.robofold.com], a start-up
company that is developing technology to enable efficient manufacturing.
It takes his design ideas of curved folding into software which allows robots
to form sheet metal, a genuine first.

TIME: 6.00 - 7.30pm, Tuesday 9 February 2010
PLACE: London Knowledge Lab, 23-29 Emerald St, London, WC1N 3QS
[Travel information & maps at: http://bit.ly/LKL-MathsArt-venue ]

All welcome. No reservation required, but an email to
lkl.maths.art at gmail.com would be appreciated for planning purposes

Next seminar: March 9, Alan Sutcliffe and John Sharp on circles.

*Visit the website and seminar archive:
http://www.lkl.ac.uk/events/maths-art
*Join the email list for future seminar announcements:

++++++++
Dr Phillip Kent
London Knowledge Lab - Institute of Education
23 - 29 Emerald St
London WC1N 3QS
p.kent at ioe.ac.uk
tel 020 7763 2156   mobile 07950 952034