[Maths-Education] Maths-Art Seminar at LKL: December 9, Art and Mathematics of Paper-folding

Phillip Kent phillip.kent at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 11:37:59 GMT 2010

** PLEASE CIRCULATE ** ALL WELCOME **

THE ART AND MATHEMATICS OF PAPER-FOLDING

An LKL Maths-Art 'Hands-on' event
Thursday 9 December 2010, 6.00 - 8.00pm

In keeping with the time of year, our pre-Xmas seminar is less formal
than usual. We will have mostly hands-on explorations of different
aspects of paper folding/mathematics and art. We will also show some
excerpts from the movie "Between the Folds" on the London Knowledge Lab
"big screen".

We have two Origami presenters: JOHN WOOTTON will be making some modular
origami and showing some examples of his work. TIM ROWETT from Grand
Illusions (www.grand-illusions.com) has some different ideas.

The other presenters have different takes on paper folding and
sculpting. TONY WILLS (who gave a seminar for us on “Developable
surfaces and D-Forms” in June 2007) will show you how to make D-Forms.
RICHARD AHRENS has some Danish novelties with an Xmas flavour. JOHN
SHARP will show some foldings with paper strips and business cards.

We hope you will join in. By having small groups working concurrently,
you can get individual tuition and see a range of different ideas. There
are lots of ideas which can be developed into Xmas decorations.

Please Bring!! A pair of scissors; any old business cards you may have;
some sellotape.

DATE: Thursday 9th December
TIME: 6.00 to 8.00pm
PLACE: London Knowledge Lab, 23-29 Emerald St, London, WC1N 3QS
[Travel information & maps at: http://bit.ly/LKL-MathsArt-venue ]

LKL Maths-Art seminars are free to attend, and All are welcome. No
reservation is required, but an email to lkl.maths.art at gmail.com is
appreciated for planning purposes