[Maths-Education] review of interactive geometry software

Douglas Butler (Argonet) debutler at argonet.co.uk
Fri Aug 13 12:59:05 BST 2010

Kate, John and Dave

An interesting thread, and it will be fascinating to read Kate's
conclusions.

I know Autograph is not really a DGS system, so not really in this frame,
but I would like to explore David's point about action buttons.  He makes a
good case for them, but I have never really felt the need. I worry that that
some students might see them 'magic', performing operations that they have
not been involved in setting up. I can see that it may well be time for a
rethink.

The Autograph approach is quite different, expecting the teachers, with full
interaction from the students, or the students themselves, to set up each
situation from the bottom up, with judicious use of the slow plot and
scribble tool.

If anyone reading this would like to see the latest version of Autograph
(MAC or PC) just send me an email and I'll set you up. Or have a browse
through some items I have done recently for ATM and NCTM:

   www.tsm-resources.com/videos.html

Good luck with the project, Kate

Douglas

== from Douglas Butler < debutler at argonet.co.uk > ==

Director, iCT TRAINING CENTRE (OUNDLE)

PO Box 46, Oundle, Peterborough PE8 4EJ, UK

T: +44 (0)1832 273444 F: 273529 M: +44 (0)7860 843462

www.tsm-resources.com    www.autograph-maths.com