[Maths-Education] review of interactive geometry software

Alexandre Borovik alexandre.borovik at gmail.com
Thu Aug 12 15:27:42 BST 2010

Dear Kate,

I personally find it useful to try to understand the nature and
limitations of the mathematical engine at the heart of a particular
maths learning package. The following simple experiment with Cinderella
and Geogebra is a fragment of my paper at ALT News Online,
http://newsletter.alt.ac.uk/4edkkzb138s
(a more complete version is available at
http://manchester.academia.edu/documents/0138/7244/Mathematics_and_IT.pdf):

"It is interesting to compare the behaviour, in Cinderella and GeoGebra,
of a simple interactive diagram: two intersecting circles of varying
radii and the straight line determined by their points of intersection.
In GeoGebra, when you vary the radii or move the centres of the circles
and make the circles non-intersecting, the line through the points of
intersection disappears -- exactly as one should expect. In Cinderella,
the line does not disappear, it moves following the movements of the
circles, always separating them; when circles touch each other and start
to intersect again, the line turns to be, again, the common tangent line
of two circles or, in the case of two intersecting circles, the line
through the points of intersection. (The line is called the radical axis
of the two circles.)

To a mathematician, the behaviour of this diagram suggests that the
underlying mathematical structure of GeoGebra is the real Euclidean
plane. In Cinderella, the underlying structure is the complex projective
plane; what we see on the screen is just its tiny fragment, a real
affine part. The radical axis of two non-intersecting circles is the
real part of the complex line through two complex points of
intersection. The intersection points of two real circles are complex
conjugate, the line is invariant under complex conjugation and therefore
is real and shows up on the real Euclidean plane. For a mathematician,
this is a strong hint that Cinderella could work better than GeoGebra in
accommodating non-Euclidean geometries: elliptic and  hyperbolic  (the
Lobachevsky plane) since they happily live in the complex projective plane."

Best wishes -- Alexandre