[Maths-Education] Childhood stories of mathematics

Alexandre Borovik alexandre.borovik at gmail.com
Sat Apr 3 21:02:52 BST 2010

Dear Colleagues,

I am writing a book on mathematical thinking, and I ask you to kindly
pass to me your recollections of challenges you encountered in your
early learning of mathematics. Such stories provide a fascinating
insight into the psychology of mathematical thinking and frequently
lead to surprisingly deep mathematics.

Quite a number of childhood testimonies are analysed in my draft book
“Shadows of the Truth: Metamathematics of Elementary Mathematics”,
http://www.maths.manchester.ac.uk/~avb/ST.pdf; but I need more.

Why do I appeal to researchers in mathematics education? Because you
have a language that allows you to express your childhood difficulties
– for laymen, my request would be much harder.

Please send your stories at borovik at manchester.ac.uk. Please also give
me the following details:

[*] Your age when a particular episode happened.

[*] What was the language of mathematical instruction? Was it
different from your mother tongue?

My warmest thanks!

Alexandre Borovik

-
- Alexandre Borovik - www.maths.manchester.ac.uk/~avb/
- Blog: http://micromath.wordpress.com/
- Book:  "Mathematics under the Microscope",
http://www.mrlonline.org/bookstore-getitem/item=MBK-71
-