[Maths-Education] Socio-Mathematical Identity

Ernest, Paul P.Ernest at exeter.ac.uk
Thu Apr 1 10:59:32 BST 2010

Dear colleagues

This is an interesting discussion about Socio-Mathematical Identity. I do not wish to add anything  except to let you know of an excellent recent and relevant doctoral thesis submitted successfully to University Exeter.

A SOCIOCULTURAL STUDY OF MATHEMATICAL AND OTHER IDENTITIES OF „STRUGGLING‟ TEENAGE BOYS
Submitted by Melinda Evelyn Browne, to the University of Exeter as a thesis for
the degree of Doctor of Education in Mathematics Education,
September, 2009.

This will be published in its entirety in PoME journal 26 (summer 2011) but if you would like to see it before then please contact Melinda either for a copy or for permission for me to send you a copy for your private use.

Melinda E. Browne  mb282 at exeter.ac.uk<mailto:mb282 at exeter.ac.uk>

To whet your appetite here is a passage I quoted from Melinda  in a paper (Ernest, 2010: 99) in a recent issue of Complicity.

A ‘tracing‘ is like a tree because it grows by reproducing the same pattern in its branches and leaves. On the other hand, a ‘map‘ is in a constant state of flux; a “map is open and connectable in all its dimensions; it is detachable, reversible, susceptible to constant modification” (Deleuze & Guattari, 2007, p. 12). Whilst tracings represent structures that get reproduced by repetition like a genetic code, maps are rhizomes that increase their power by increasing their connections. According to Deleuze and Guattari (2007), mathematics resists tracing: Like a map, it is open-ended and teeming with connections. Gracefully put, the learner of school mathematics is immersed in an expansive language, which unfolds like a map beckoning towards new territories. Though it is true that every human language, mathematics included, is invented by people and is meaningless without the company of some lived activity, the experience of exploring the ‘map‘ is, to me, an aesthetic state of ‘becoming.‘ (Browne 2009: 11-12)

Browne, M. E. (2009), A Sociocultural Study of Mathematical and Other Identities of ‘Struggling’ Teenage Boys, Unpublished Ed.D. Thesis, Exeter: University of Exeter Graduate School of Education.

Ernest, P. (2010) ‘Mathematics and Metaphor, A Response to Mowat & Davis’, Complicity: An International Journal of Complexity and Education, Vol. 7 (2010), No. 1: pp. 98-104.

See http://www.complexityandeducation.ualberta.ca/issueslist.htm

Best wishes

Paul
__________________
Paul Ernest
Emeritus Professor
Graduate School of Education
University of Exeter
St Lukes, Heavitree Road
Exeter  EX1 2LU, UK
+44-(0)1392-264796
http://www.people.ex.ac.uk/PErnest/

Visiting Professor, HiST-ALT College, Trondheim, Norway
Visiting Professor, University of Oslo, Norway
Adjunct Professor, Hope University, Liverpool

See http://www.people.ex.ac.uk/PErnest/  for Philosophy of Mathematics Education Journal - No. 24 on theme 'Mathematics and Art' -- (out since December 2009)

Papers for No. 25 on theme Critical Mathematics Education -- now sought (intended for August 2010)