[Maths-Education] Newsletter on Proof

Nicolas Balacheff Nicolas.Balacheff at imag.fr
Tue Nov 18 07:26:01 GMT 2008

David H Kirshner wrote:
>> I would put nuances on the claim that "expertise in proof is primarily a matter of social development ", and prefer to say that from a learning perspective social interaction may be a lever and sometimes also an obstacle due to the intrinsic linguistic, cognitive and social properties of argumentation.
>>

> Yes, most theorists considering the development of proof competencies would be uncomfortable with an analysis circumscribed by the social. But are there no voices in the literature urging just such a radical departure?

I am not aware of such a radical position. But there several projects
with a strong social approach (which could be socio-psychology,
socio-linguistic, social interaction -- although there are relations,
there are also important differences). I would suggest works from Cobb,
Brousseau, Ball, Herbst, Bartolini-Bussi and Boero, and others, I have
not mase a systematic search. I send you an old paper of mine (different
mail), just to give you an idea of the way I understand this issue.
Best
Nicolas