[Maths-Education] Video Proejct for CPD and ITE

Ingram, Jennifer Jenni.Ingram at warwick.ac.uk
Thu Jan 10 15:35:36 GMT 2008

A really big thank you for all those who have responded so far!
I am sending out the email again so that anyone else who wants to can respond before we begin analysing the responses.
Thanks again

We are producing a DVD of common classroom scenarios which can often be challenging for new teachers to respond to.  The aim is to gather a variety of different ways of responding to such situations.  We intend to use these different ways of responding in a DVD to help both maths teachers and trainee teachers to explore the pros and cons of different responses and then consider how they may respond to a wider range of issues in the future.

Please will you take the time to look through the 11 scenarios on the next page, and pick 2 or 3 (or more) to respond to.  Describe how you would respond.  Alternatively, you might choose to describe responses you have seen in classrooms but would not necessarily use yourself.

Please indicate whether you are a maths teacher in school, a maths education teacher or a PGCE student.

How would you respond to these questions / scenarios?

1)      When am I ever going to use simultaneous linear equations?

2)      Multiplying makes things bigger

3)      You hardly ever get a six!

4)      Why does a minus times a minus make a plus?

5)      4.32 is bigger than 4.5.

6)      maths is boring...

7)      Why is 100=1?

8)      (x + y)2 = x2 + y2

9)      1/3 + ¼ = 2/7

10)   can't you just tell us the rule?

11)               /

                  /

           q    /   p

                /

              /

Jenni Ingram
Assistant Professor of Mathematics Education
Institute of Education
University of Warwick
Coventry
CV4 7AL