[Maths-Education] London Knowledge Lab Special Lecture & Workshops, 14-16 February 2008: "Zome: A language for understanding the structure of space"

Phillip Kent p.kent at ioe.ac.uk
Thu Feb 7 11:18:12 GMT 2008

You are invited attend one or more of LKL's special Zome events next week.

Please contact me to reserve places, if you have not already done so.

Thanks - Phillip
*

*The London Knowledge Lab is hosting a special lecture on 14 February to
celebrate the installation of our magnificent Zome model, the "omnitruncated
120 cell", constructed from 21,360 parts of the Zometool geometrical
construction system. The model presents a shadow in the three dimensional
world of a geometrical shape defined in four dimensions.

Our distinguished speaker, PAUL HILDEBRANDT, is co-developer of the Zome
system and founder of the Zometool company in Colorado, USA [
www.zometool.com]. His lecture will be titled, "Zome: from live-in sculpture
to a language for understanding the structure of space." He will describe
how the roots of the Zome system draw on the inspiration of art,
architecture and mathematics, and touch on the deep structure of nature and
numbers.

*The lecture will commence at 5.30pm. *Tea will be served from 5.00pm. There
will be a reception after the lecture, starting at 7.00pm.

*Admission to the lecture is free and open to all, but reservation is
compulsory*: Please contact Phillip Kent, p.kent at ioe.ac.uk, 020 7763 2156.
Please indicate, for planning of catering, if you are able to attend the
reception.

We are also holding two *Zometool workshops* as follows:

*15 February: 2pm - 5.30pm*, Introductory Zometool Workshop, a hands-on
introduction for anyone interested in the application of Zometool to
mathematics, science, architecture, art, etc.
*16 February: 11am - 4pm*, Zometool for Mathematics Education Workshop,
intended for teachers, parents and educators interested specifically in the
use of Zometool in school mathematics.

If you are interested to participate in one of the workshops, please contact
Phillip Kent. Capacity is limited.

For more information about the lecture and workshops, see
www.lkl.ac.uk/events/zome .

++++++++
Dr Phillip Kent
London Knowledge Lab - Institute of Education
23 - 29 Emerald St
London WC1N 3QS
p.kent at ioe.ac.uk
tel 020 7763 2156   mobile 07950 952034