[Maths-Education] What makes a good maths test question?

Tandi Clausen-May tandi.clausen-may at virgin.net
Fri Dec 12 06:07:53 GMT 2008

Sarah Maughan, a colleague at the NFER, has asked me to circulate this message to the MathsEd list.  Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!  Tandi
(Tandi Clausen-May)

Dear All

I have recently started work at the NFER (National Foundation for Educational Research) after a period of time working at the NCETM (National Centre for Excellence in the Teaching of Mathematics).  I am about to start a small research project investigating what good test/ examination questions there are in use for assessing mathematics.  We are looking at a wide range of different available options and analysing the item types within them.  We then hope to speak to a number of key mathematics experts to collect their views on what a good assessment of mathematics is, or should be, like.

I would really appreciate your help with either part of this research: what good assessments (or items within assessments) do you think already exist?  And/or, would you like to be interviewed about what good mathematics assessment should be like?

If you have any questions about the project or would like to contribute to the research, please reply to this email or email me at s.maughan at nfer.ac.uk

Sarah
Sarah Maughan
Head of Assessment Policy and Impact
Department for Research in Assessment and Measurement
National Foundation for Educational Research
The Mere Upton Park Slough SL1 2DQ United Kingdom
Tel:  +44 (0)1753 637137     Fax:  +44 (0)1753 671708
e-mail:  s.maughan at nfer.ac.uk
Web Site http://www.nfer.ac.uk