[Maths-Education] Didactics and Sudoku??

Alan Rogerson alan at rogerson.pol.pl
Mon Dec 8 15:05:24 GMT 2008

Dear David,

I suspect you are right about the claim, it probably refers to an
extended guess and check strategy which eventually yields the first and
then other digits, rather than any blind guessing. Certainly it doesn't
look like there is any deterministic algorithm, so it must be something
else (thank goodness, publishers of the millions of sudoku books will say!!)

I consulted the oracle again on this and as you suggested she thinks
most (maybe all) advanced addicts do use a well developed strategy of
looking for the areas of maximum information (hence fewer choices)
pencilling in all the possibilities, scanning the nearby grid for
further foci of fewer choices, and thus step by step finally fixing on a
unique digit somewhere, this can take a lot of time and pencils but it
does (eventually) work, with patience and a clear head. Having seen this
process often I am sure there is an almost subconscious problem-solving
strategy at work which the solver may be using implicitly without
needing to even think about it (hence experience), such is the speed
sometimes of the pencil, and then moments of reflection, looking for the
next "useful" clues, but the uncertainty goes on a long time before the
first digit pops up at last - this is the fascination (and conversely
the repulsion) the game exerts on its addicts and non-addicts. It may be
other people guess a digit and then guess some others until they reach a
contradiction but this seems like a more wasteful strategy, better to
have many pencilled possible entries until that eureka moment reveals
the first unique digit...it seems. Players with very good memories may
not even need pencils...

Has anyone used sudoku in schools for the obvious merit it has in
practising arithmetic and reinforcing some basic logic and problem
solving? It would be interesting to know if it has any didactical use
and success?!

Some years ago we produced two booklets for the Maths in Society project
which were later published, one dealt with Magic and Numbers and
actually taught conjuring tricks as well as running through those
excellent number puzzles, for example the remarkable number 1089x9 =
9801 leads to an extraordinary depth of investigation which can make a
project for a week and ends up with the Fibonacci numbers and some nice
combinatorics on the way.

The other more relevant booklet introduced playing cards and after some
elementary discussion taught students to play Cribbage, an excellent and
popular card game for which success depends largely on probabilistic
thinking, which can be formalised and used to teach some introductory
probability - but (maybe like sudoku?) the motivation is also to learn
to play an exciting and skilful card game.
Alan