[Maths-Education] Kaput Center News Update

Stephen Hegedus shegedus at umassd.edu
Tue Apr 8 05:45:26 BST 2008

=============
NEWS UPDATE
=============
1. Our regular on-line Wimba seminar on the works of Jim Wertsch
continues next Wednesday April 16th, 12-1pm(EST). Please forward to
your students and colleagues. Locals are free to join us in the Center
too. At this meeting we shall be studying:

Wertsch, J. V. & Tulviste, P. (2005). L.S. Vygotsky and contemporary
developmental psychology. In H. Daniels (Ed.), An introduction to
Vygotsky (2nd ed., pp. 59-80). New York: Routledge.

MP3 recordings of prior discussions and more details can be found
here: http://www.kaputcenter.umassd.edu/events/fas/
Sign up details are at the end of this message.
Please contact Lindsay Cabral (u_l1cabral at umassd.edu) at the Kaput
Center for more details on the reading materials.

2. Our final featured speaker this semester will be Professor Judah
Schwartz:

Judah Schwartz, Tufts, Professor of Engineering Science & Education,
MIT [retired]
Professor of Education, Harvard University [retired].
Wednesday 7th May 2008; 3:30-5pm
Title: Formulating Measures: A Step Toward Understanding Modeling in
the K-12 Curriculum

Further info and streaming videos of prior talks are available at http://www.kaputcenter.umassd.edu/events/cs/

Directions and contact details can be found here: http://www.kaputcenter.umassd.edu/contact/

3. Members of the Kaput Center Advisory Board met in March to begin a
series of symposia addressing "Foundational Issues in Mathematics
Education" supported by the National Science Foundation.  More details
can be found at our Public Wiki: http://www.kaputcenter.umassd.edu/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

=====

Notes to join the on-line seminar:

To join the on-line discussion from anywhere in the world, please
connect to:
http://horizon.umassonline.net
Click on "Participant Login" and enter your full name, then select
"Kaput Center Room"

First time, you will need to run through a setup wizard. This takes
just a few minutes. The virtual room will be open from 11.30pm (EST)
before each seminar but you can do the setup at anytime. You will need
a microphone connected to your computer to contribute. The discussion
will be moderated by an associate of the Center. We will also be
offering a simulcast via telephone if needed. Please contact us for
the PIN number.

We look forward to your involvement.

Regards
Stephen