[Maths-Education] Seminar

Tamara Bibby T.Bibby at ioe.ac.uk
Thu Nov 8 13:23:14 GMT 2007

Please could the following seminar be circulated via the maths list?
Many thanks
tamara

Dr Tamara Bibby
Lecturer in Learning & Teaching
School of Curriculum, Pedagogy and Assessment
Institute of Education
20 Bedford Way
London WC1H 0AL

Tel: 020 7612 6593

Tamara Bibby, Alex Moore & Sheryl Clark would like to invite you to a
celebratory dissemination seminar to mark the end of the ESRC funded
project:

Children¹s learner-identities in mathematics at Key Stage 2
RES-000-22-1272

5.00 ­ 7.00pm*
20th November
Room 944,
Institute of Education, Bedford Way, London

This project explored the sense children in one inner-urban KS2 class made
of their learning experiences.
While we looked specifically at mathematics we did not look at it in
isolation and our findings have implications across the primary curriculum
and learning experience.
Three key findings relate to
(1)  The febrile and fragile emotional states of the children and the ways
in which these were not heard/noticed by the teachers
(2)  The ways in which langage was used differently by adults and children
resulting in serious miscommunications
(3)  The difficulty of developing positive learning identities within the
pressured environment of the classroom

There will be a presentation of key findings and time to discuss their
implications.

* Refreshments from 5pm, seminar from 5.30pm
Please reply to a.copeland at ioe.ac.uk to book your glass of wine and reserve
a peanut or two.