[Maths-Education] FW: International Statistics Literacy Project of IASE

Clausen-May, Tandi t.clausen-may at nfer.ac.uk
Fri May 25 15:10:20 BST 2007

This message is posted on behalf of Peter Wingfield-Digby [pwdigby at loxinfo.co.th], a member of ISLP

>The ISLP has designed a competition called: "Who Wants to be
>Statistically Literate? " aimed at school students. The first of several
>competitions will be held in Northern Portugal, in Portuguese, this
>summer, during the period of the IASE Satellite Conference in Guimarães and
>the ISI Biennial in Lisbon.
>
>More details, such as rules of the game, practice games, teams already
>registered, schools, and other news that will be added, can be found at the
>game's web site  http://www.stat.auckland.ac.nz/~iase/islp/game
>A brochure in English, with the rules of the game, can be found at
>http://www.stat.auckland.ac.nz/~iase/islp (this is interesting for those
>students that might want to participate in the online game in the
>winter).
>
>This message is to invite all mathematics teachers working in
>Portuguese, either from Portugal, from Angola, Brasil, Cabo-Verde,
>Guiné-Bissau, Moçambique, S. Tomé e Príncipe e Timor-Leste, or from other
>countries, to please let your students know and encourage them to compete.
>Students who are in Portugal during the summer from all these countries
>are welcome to register to participate. More sites in Northern Portugal
>will be added as registration increases.
>
>Students from all these countries not in Portugal this summer can
>register to participate in a version of the game that will take place  in
>the Fall in Portuguese by mail.  In either case, the student can contact the >Director of ISLP by email to  jsanchez at stat.ucla.edu  to register.
>

>Prizes to the school that registers more students,  to all participants and
>to the top 3 teams come from donations made by the sponsors of the
>competition.
>

>Future rounds of the game:
>
>Annual competition online in English:  starting in the Winter 2007 and
>continuing thereon and open to all english speaking students.
>Monterrey, Mexico, in Spanish:  During the ICME/IASI meeting in 2008
>
>And other future sites where IASE or ISI hold meetings.
>

>If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me
>(jsanchez at stat.ucla.edu)
>
>Best regards,
>
>Juana Sanchez

>Dr. Juana Sanchez
>
>Director, ISLP of IASE (International Statistical Literacy Project of
>IASE )
>
>ISLP/IASE web page: http://www.stat.auckland.ac.nz/~iase/islp/
>jsanchez at stat.ucla.edu
>

>Juana Sanchez

Dr Tandi Clausen-May
Principal Research Officer
Department for Research in Assessment and Measurement
National Foundation for Educational Research
The Mere, Upton Park, Slough, Berkshire  SL1 2DQ, UK
Reg. No 900899 (England).  Reg Address as above.
Tel +44(0) 1753 574123: direct line +44(0) 1753 637111
Fax +44(0) 1753 691632:
Web http://www.nfer.ac.uk
The NFER reserves the right to intercept and read e-mails sent to or received by our employees. If you do not wish your communications to be subject to such scrutiny, you should not communicate via this e-mail system. The Foundation endeavours to exclude viruses from our data but it is the obligation of the recipient to check any attachments for viruses. Opinions, conclusions and other information contained in this message that do not relate to the official business of the NFER, or are personal to the individual sender, will not be understood as endorsed by the Foundation and no liability will be accepted. Any legally binding agreement resulting from its content must be made separately in a printed medium.