[Maths-Education] 7th Annual Institute of Mathematics Pedagogy

Anne Watson anne.watson at edstud.ox.ac.uk
Tue Mar 6 10:56:46 GMT 2007

The 7th ANNUAL
INSTITUTE OF MATHEMATICS PEDAGOGY

will take place at the

Morley Retreat & Conference House
Church Lane Morley Derbyshire DE7 6DE

from Monday July 30th

to Thursday Aug 2nd

2007

The Institute will be led by John Mason, Malcolm Swan and Anne Watson
 and will consist of workshops, seminars, readings, reflections and
discussions
about teaching and learning mathematics.
There will be a full programme
from 2pm on the 30th until lunchtime on the 2nd,
 including evening activities.

There will be no papers or formal presentations;
the group will work intensively and creatively
with issues and ideas to develop thinking and practice.

This year’s theme will be:

Metaphors, Models and Representations:

How do metaphors, models and representations
shape our understanding of mathematical ideas?

How do we construct, select, or reject
metaphors, models and representations when we teach?
 How do learners construct their own metaphors, models and representations?

The fee will £250 which includes transport from Derby to the House,

accommodation during the Institute, all meals and other refreshments,

materials and so on.
Non resident fee is £100. A limited number of bursaries may be available.

We shall need a £50 deposit to hold a place

(if your institution is paying, then the full fee would be appreciated).

Cheques should be made out to Institute of Maths Pedagogy and sent to:
Sue Elliott, Sheffield Hallam University, Maths Education Centre,

25 Broomgrove Road, Sheffield S10 2NA;

telephone 0114 2252563 (Voicemail available);
email s.elliott at shu.ac.uk; fax 0114 2252339

Apply now!! Places are limited.

Anne Watson, M.A., M.Sc., D.Phil anne.watson at edstud.ox.ac.uk

Reader in Mathematics Education (www.mcgraw-hill.co.uk/html/0335218601.html)