[Maths-Education] importance of physical materials for mathematics in elementary school

tr202 at cam.ac.uk tr202 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Jun 26 12:01:51 BST 2007

Dear Kate,

A small supplement to the replies from Keith, Peter and Paul ...

it's worth looking at John Threlfall's nice 1996 paper 'The Role of
Practical Apparatus in the Teaching and Learning of Arithmetic' in
Educational Review 48(1).

Abstract: The use of practical apparatus to help children to learn about
arithmetic has a long history, but many teachers have found that it is not
as useful as theorists claim and in the current review of practice
occasioned by the National Curriculum its use is being questioned. This
article reviews the arguments for the value of practical number apparatus
and examines the practical activities for which the apparatus is used, to
try to explain why the theoretical benefits do not seem to be translating
into practice. A number of possible reasons for the divergence are found,
most notably the widespread unhelpful use of the apparatus as an aid to
calculation. A change of emphasis in the use of number apparatus is
recommended, rather than its rejection.

Robin Foster was also writing about 'apparatus algorithms' around the same
time, but I  don't have a reference.

Best wishes,
Tim

Dr Tim Rowland
Faculty of Education
University of Cambridge

--On 25 June 2007 03:10 +0000 Katherine Mackrell
<katemackrell at sympatico.ca> wrote:

> **********************************
> This message has been generated through the Mathematics Education email
> discussion list.
> Hitting the REPLY key sends a message to all list members.
> **********************************
> I have just met a Serbian teacher who informs me that there is pressure to
> remove the use of physical materials in design technology in elementary
> schools and to replace
> these with computer software.
>
> Much as I love 3D computer software, I share his concern with regard to
> students' basic understanding of 3D space and the impact that this change
> might make on students' mathematics.  Could people please send me
> arguments/
> references, etc that would summarise the importance of using physical
> materials for developing mathematical understanding at the elementary
> level?   It's so obviously important to me that I'm not quite sure where
> to start!
>
> Thanks
>
> Kate

_______________________________