[Maths-Education] How popular is mechanics in mathematics education?

Stuart Rowlands stuart.rowlands at plymouth.ac.uk
Wed Apr 25 12:27:59 BST 2007

Dear Colleagues,

I am currently writing an article that argues why mechanics ought to be
integral to school mathematics. The evidence I have regarding the
popularity of mechanics is so far anecdotal. I would like to conduct a
straw-poll to gauge the popularity of mechanics as a subject in the UK's
A-level mathematics curriculum. If you are a UK mathematics educator or
teacher and would like to take part, please would you place an X next to
your answer below (and state whether you are a school teacher or in a
faculty of education):

1. 'Mechanics ought to be integral to the A-level mathematics
curriculum'

Strongly agree

Agree

Neutral

Disagree

Strongly Disagree

2. 'Mathematical modelling in general ought to be integral to the
A-level mathematics curriculum'

Strongly agree

Agree

Neutral

Disagree

Strongly Disagree

In addition, any explanation or qualification for your response would be
most welcome.

If you would like to take part please don't hit the reply button but
forward this e-mail to stuart.rowlands at plymouth.ac.uk

All responses will be treated with anonymity, unless you have given an
explanation/qualification and specifically state that you would like
your name associated with your explanation/qualification.

Of course, subsequent to submitting your response you have the right to
withdraw your response.

Thank you for your time in reading this.

Stuart

Stuart Rowlands
Centre for Teaching Mathematics
School of Mathematics and Statistics