[Maths-Education] maths across the curriculum

Hugh.Burkhardt at nottingham.ac.uk Hugh.Burkhardt at nottingham.ac.uk
Mon Jul 3 07:46:24 BST 2006

In the 1980s the Shell Centre (with the JMB) developed five modules
on functional mathematics, calling them Numeracy through Problem
Solving.  Malcolm Swan was the lead designer. One of them, Design a
Board Game, was taught on at least one occasion jointly by the Maths
and Art departments of a school.  All five have cross curricular
potential.   (see www.mathshell.com)

The 'USP' of the modules is that they  provide a lot of support for
non-routine practical problem solving, so that they work well across
the student ability range in the hands  of teachers with no prior
experience of teaching real problem solving skills (most teachers of
maths).  They were later adapted for GCSE as NEAB Mathematics
Syllabus C, dying when syllabuses were restricted.

More generally, it would be interesting to hear about any
cross-curricular teaching of non-routine problem solving where:
   *  the problems are seen by the students as meaningful in out-of-school terms
   *  the students have reasonable autonomy to pursue their own
approaches to, at least,
	some of the problems
Of course, illustrating the uses of maths in finance, sport, music,
art (from Vazarely to Peitgen) is fine but it is as important to
functionality as always to move students out of passive 'gawp mode'
into autonomous analysis.

Cross curricular teaching seems a hopeful approach in that it does
not rely on teachers of other subjects knowing enough maths to bring
power to their analyses (a weakness in the Smith proposal for
'statistics across the curriculum').  But there are serious
challenges:
   *  The student may be faced with reconciling the two teachers very
different priorities, both of which may be different from those the
student sees in the problem. ("dragging in maths,....")
   *  Many students don't understand other subjects well-enough
informally to be able to model significant problems in them with
mathematics (hence the use of everyday life situations)
   *  Cross-curricular teaching has often been seen as valuiable, but
very rarely established in secondary schools, largely due to the
practical difficulties of 'crossing' the different departments'
thinking and priorities, and their structuring of curriculum and
teaching.  (Primary schools are a different story, with other
challenges)

Thus evidence from and on efforts to do this would be valuable..

Hugh