[Maths-Education] ATM all attainment tachin gand learning group

Corinne Angier cangier at chaucer.sheffield.sch.uk
Sun Jan 8 21:57:10 GMT 2006

The Association of Teachers of Mathematics
All-attainment learning and teaching group

Our next meeting is on

Saturday January 21st  2006
09.30 until 15.00

We will be considering how we can use data handling tasks to
engage students in thinking about the world around them.

Please see below for travel details etc.

All teachers, whatever the structures adopted by their
mathematics department, work with students with very diverse
learning needs.  This group is interested in the kinds of
mathematical tasks which are accessible, open and rich
enough to meet the needs of learners across the attainment
spectrum.

We work on mathematics together and discuss the
opportunities and tensions that exist in school classrooms.
The workshops focus on sharing practice.  Some of us bring
stories from the classroom of using the activities that we
have previously explored together.  We all aim to bring with
us a mathematical task which we have used with a range of
learners.  We consider how to work with a mathematical task
in the classroom, how to develop it and the sort of
questions we need to ask to extend students’ mathematical
thinking.

This workshop is free and lunch will be provided.  The next
meeting is at the Mathematics Education Centre, Sheffield
Hallam University, Collegiate Crescent Campus, 25 Broomgrove
Road, Sheffield, S10 5BW.  Travel details can be found in
the Visitors' Guide at http://www.shu.ac.uk.

If you are interested in attending this workshop please
contact Corinne Angier (cangier at chaucer.sheffield.sch.uk )
or Hilary Povey (0114 225 2338; h.povey at shu.ac.uk).
Corinne Angier
Curriculum leader for mathematics
Chaucer school
Wordsworth Avenue
Sheffield S5 8NH
Tel: 0114 2322338
Fax: 0114 2321426
cangier at chaucer.sheffield.sch.uk

"Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards."
Soren Kierkegaard