[Maths-Education] References on "problem solving"

Hugh.Burkhardt at nottingham.ac.uk Hugh.Burkhardt at nottingham.ac.uk
Sun Dec 24 13:05:51 GMT 2006

ZDM are producing a special issue on:
	Problem Solving Around the World - Summing up the State of the Art
focussing particularly on what has happened since about 1970

I have agreed to write the piece on work in the UK.
(I shall include an outline of some earlier work too).

I would be grateful for references to:
   *  insight-focused research, particularly at school level, on
	the processes of PS
	the teaching and learning of PS skills
   *  PS materials of any kind developed with research-based methods
Those that arrive soon and/or with the references attached will be
particularly welcome.  Don't be coyabout your own stuff (but show
some restraint!).

In this context, at least, "problem solving" (a much abused term)
means tackling tasks in mathematics or in practical contexts that:
	are significantly different from those the solver has been
taught to solve, so that
	recall of learnt procedures is not enough, with
	a substantial part of the demand in understanding the
problem, formulating a mathematical approach/model, interpreting and
evaluating solutions, and communicating the results  (and the other
things that investigation involves)

Your comments are, of course, also welcome.

As usual, please just reply to me:
	Hugh.Burkhardt at nottingham.ac.uk
unless you think the whole maillist would thus feel deprived.

While, in the current UK context, this may seem a nostalgic
enterprise, I hope it will be a useful reminder of what is missing in
school maths.

All the best for '07

Hugh