[Maths-Education] Revised message re Jill Adler seminar

Lerman, Stephen lermans at lsbu.ac.uk
Mon Oct 10 14:51:05 BST 2005

Dear colleagues,
My humble apologies, I put the wrong date in my message. It should
have been for WEDNESDAY 19TH OCTOBER at 3:30 PM.

The full text should read:

Please note the following seminar. All are welcome.
Please write to Steve Lerman <lermans at lsbu.ac.uk> if you are coming.

Professor Jill Adler
University of the Witwatersrand
Seminar on
WEDNESDAY 19th October at 3:30 pm
London South Bank University
Room 9 Blackwell's building (see
http://www.lsbu.ac.uk/about/maps.shtml for travel information.
Blackwell's is on London Road by building number 13)

"Mathematics for teaching: Interim findings from the QUANTUM research
project in South Africa"

In this seminar I will share some of the research underway in the
QUANTUM*  project and its focus on the  what and how mathematics for
teaching is produced across varying sites of teacher education.  I
will focus the talk on one key element of mathematical  for teaching
(MfT), specifically interpreting and judging students' mathematical
productions. It is now common cause that one of the specific tasks of
teaching is working with learners' productions - in mathematics this
has typically been referred to as learners' misconceptions. It was
thus of no surprise in the QUANTUM research to find a focus on
misconceptions across three diverse sites of mathematics teacher
education practice. What was surprising, however, is how differently
this is approached in and across different courses, a feature of the
relative curriculum autonomy in teacher education within higher
education in South Africa. Our research reveals, however, that these
each create quite different possibilities for learning, with
implications for teachers' knowing and knowing about this key element
of mathematics for teaching.

*The QUANTUM research project is conducted by a collaborative research
team - Zain Davis, UCT; Diane Parker, UKZN, Lyn Webb, NMMU; Mercy
Kazima, Wits.