[Maths-Education] CORRECTION Maths Ed Seminar at King's 6 December

Jeremy Hodgen jeremy.hodgen at kcl.ac.uk
Tue Nov 15 08:51:38 GMT 2005

***********************************
This message has been generated through the Mathematics Education email
discussion list.
Hitting the REPLY key sends a message to all list members.
***********************************
Whoops - it should of course be Tuesday 6th December.
SORRY
Jeremy

The Mathematics Education Research Group at King's College London runs
a twice-termly seminar series. The next seminar in this year's series
will be:

King’s College London
Department of Education and Professional Studies
Mathematics Education Seminar Series 2005/6

What can discursive psychology do for research in mathematics education?

Richard Barwell
Graduate School of Education
University of Bristol

Tuesday 5th December 2005
5.30 - 7.00 pm

Discursive psychology has emerged as an anti-cognitivist, anti-realist
perspective on cognition. This approach includes both a theorisation of
the role of discursive practice in thinking, and a methodological
approach to researching psychological problems. Discursive psychology
has informed much of my research into the role of multilingualism in
the teaching and learning of mathematics. In this seminar, I reflect on
what the adoption of this perspective has allowed me to see, as well as
what it may have obscured. These reflections will be illustrated by
examples from my own work, as well as examples from other published
research. I will conclude by considering what discursive psychology
could offer research in mathematics education more generally.

Venue:
Room G8
Franklin Wilkins Building Annex, Waterloo Road.
The entrance to the School of Education is on Waterloo Road, just off
Waterloo Bridge.
A map of the locality is available at:
http://www.kcl.ac.uk/about/maa/sc.html

You are invited to stay for drinks at 7.00.

All are welcome. RSVP

Jeremy

Dr Jeremy Hodgen
Lecturer in Mathematics Education
King's College, London
Department of Education and Professional Studies
Franklin-Wilkins Building
Waterloo Bridge Wing
150 Stamford Street
London SE1 9NH

Tel: 020 7848 3102
Fax: 020 7848 3182
E-mail:
++++++
An international directory of mathematics educators is available on the
web at www.nottingham.ac.uk/csme/directory/main.html